Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Rebuild or replace? What to do...

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 08:31 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,111 Likes on 794 Posts

OMG what happened ....... :0

you should have seen the big *** nuts holding the head onto the studs as soon as you took the valve covers off. you don't have to take anything else off.

if your looking at the cylinder walls does that mean you have the heads off , cams and cam sprockets ?

anyway here is a pic of where the head studs are , it will be tha same on al 4 banks ( upper and lower laeft and right. ) now that you know what you are looking for look for 24 big nuts,

Last edited by theiceman; 01-09-2013 at 10:14 AM.
Old 04-26-2009, 09:57 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

When you install the Carrera tensioners, be sure and install the late-model wide sport supports (idlers) because binding on the older, narrow ones were the main cause of tensioner failure.
Old 04-26-2009, 10:02 PM
GermanEnthus
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Haha, no I didn't go that far. I found the studs, opened up the left upper and lower valve covers, and right upper, checked those that my tool could fit into, and all but two seemed to be tight. I checked all studs with a scope to look for oil leaks or a loose stud nut and all checked out. I used a torque wrench at 6.5 lb's, since I couldn't find any document stating the correct ft/lb's rating, the closest I could find was 11 lb's, but wasn't convinced, so I kicked it down a few lb's to see if any of them moved turned at such a low rating. Since two did, the fourth one in on the top on both sides, I'm going to assume that they've come out or broken.

I decided to stop as it was seeming like I would need to replace the studs after all, that and my back was killing me from an Outrigger Challenge yesterday...

I haven't completely written this motor off yet, but I'm going to do some deeper research on a 3.2 swap, and see if my local Porsche dismantler would cut me a deal with my core.

Quick Reply: Rebuild or replace? What to do...