Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Road Rash Repair

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 01:38 AM
irobertson
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Road Rash Repair

A while back, like 6 months or so, I recall a discussion about different products that are available for fixing minor road rash and scratches. I've tried searching but have not been able to find the thread. At the risk of being redundant, what have you guys been using for road rash repairs to paint?

cheers
Old 03-28-2009, 02:01 AM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just Zymol carnuba for me. I don't like to buff out scratches because it wears paint a whole lot faster than leaving it alone.
Old 03-28-2009, 01:37 PM
BReyes
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The aim is to end up buffing and waxing to perfection. Do that and paint touch up if need to.

With your color, it would be best to not cut into the paint or will have more color match issues in the area, which can be difficult given your color. So awesome if you could leave it original with buffing ,and spraying a little clear and maybe a squirt of paint.

Buffing and maybe one little spot to color match can be accomplished. There all kinds of grits of sand paper, eg, 2000 and 3000 grit. Using a rubbing compound with a system, say 3M three (two because your working with a nice translucent color) step of compounds. With different pads for each different compound using professional buffer/pad(s) and most important an experienced hand you can get it like glass again. With sanding any scratches can be eliminated/sprayed easily with 2 stage color/clear coat PPG paint, say one little spot.

Regards,

Last edited by BReyes; 03-28-2009 at 01:54 PM. Reason: paint mfr
Old 03-28-2009, 03:31 PM
old man neri
Drifting

Received 104 Likes on 63 Posts

There are also detail shops that can fix it all up, usually for not to much. That might be a route you want to look at.
Old 03-28-2009, 09:53 PM
irobertson
Rennlist Member

The repairs I need to make are not surface marks. They are little chips right through the paint color.
Most on the hood, a few on the driver's door, and the typical chipping along the edge of the door from bumping into objects.
I also have a couple of spots that were filled in with standard touch paint (rather poorly I might add) which I would like to redo properly.

I remember one product that was a two part process. The first part of the process was applying a color, wiping it on with a cloth which filled the chips. Then the second part was applying a solution that cleared off the excess surface color around the area. Then it was just a matter of buffing things to blend it together and waxing.
Old 03-29-2009, 12:57 AM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Do you have a metallic paint? Those are much harder to match. If solid, you might have luck with paintscratch.com

A little trick that I learned was to take a paper match. Bend it a few times (fold it back and forth), then tear it it two. Fluff the little fibers up so they are soft, then use a pair of scissors to cut the match into a point. Now you have a nice touch up brush that holds paint really well.
Old 03-29-2009, 03:42 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by irobertson
The repairs I need to make are not surface marks. They are little chips right through the paint color.
Most on the hood, a few on the driver's door, and the typical chipping along the edge of the door from bumping into objects.
I also have a couple of spots that were filled in with standard touch paint (rather poorly I might add) which I would like to redo properly.

I remember one product that was a two part process. The first part of the process was applying a color, wiping it on with a cloth which filled the chips. Then the second part was applying a solution that cleared off the excess surface color around the area. Then it was just a matter of buffing things to blend it together and waxing.
I think you may be thinking of Dr. Colorchip. I've bought several of their kits for my cars and they work extremely well, IMO. They mix a bottle of touch-up paint for your code, and include brushes, a microfiber towel and a bottle of the solution you're talking about, in a little wooden box. You clean the chip area, brush-dab the paint to fill the chip, wait about a minute, and before the paint sets up completely you wipe across it with the towel with the solution on it. Repeat if necessary until the chip is filled. No touch-up job ever makes a chip completely invisible, but I've used this on various colors light and dark, and it does a doggone good job. They also show a technique where you can wipe the paint across a mass area of little chips and it will fill them pretty well, but I have not tried that.

I think the solution they include and also mix into the paint is really some stuff called 'Langka', which I see has their own website and their own system. It basically makes the paint not "blob", which is the result you're shooting for.
Old 03-30-2009, 11:52 AM
BReyes
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Local Porsche experts may know of a qualified painter or two to provide you with best results.
Old 03-30-2009, 09:39 PM
irobertson
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bearclaw
I think you may be thinking of Dr. Colorchip. I've bought several of their kits for my cars and they work extremely well, IMO.
Thanks Barry,

That is the stuff I remember reading about.
Now that spring is around the corner, all these little things are tickling at me.

cheers
Old 03-31-2009, 02:20 PM
951 S
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Dr Colorchip works great! Just did my front end. They mix it to match your paint code & it is very easy to use.

Quick Reply: Road Rash Repair