Can a whale tail be removed?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 07:17 PM
zeketrevor
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can a whale tail be removed?

Hi all;

Current Boxster owner (daily driver). For various reasons, I want to move to a dual-car solution - a crossover (obviously not a discussion topic for this crowd!), and a used 911 (garage queen/weekend fun ride). I think the pre-'98 911 is one of the classiest-looking automobiles ever produced, and I'd love to get one.

However, I think the turbo whale tail really detracts from the clean lines of the 911. As I search for a 911, both used turbos and regular 911's fall in the price range. To ensure greatest selection, given they ain't making these any more, I'd like to be able to buy either kind, but have the option to make it look the way I'd like it to look.

I think considerations of whether removal of the tail is even possible fall into three questions:
1. Is it a simple question of pulling it off, and replacing the "hole" in the engine compartment lid with a grill (supposing you can find said grill)? Or do you need an entirely new engine compartment door?
2. Will it adversely affect the cooling of the engine - to the point where you frequently risk overheating? My understanding is that a large part of the monster spoiler's function is indeed to cool the engine.
3. Will it also adversely affect the stability of the car? The other function certainly must be to plant the butt of the car firmly down for traction. Not sure if the lack of the spoiler means the car could go nuts underneath you.

Thanks again for any answers!
Old 03-27-2009, 07:48 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

1. You need to buy a new engine compartment lid. They're cheap if used from the Classified section. Cost is not a worry.

2. I don't think it will adversely affect cooling. I did notice improved cooling in my 911 when I added the tail however. Cooling is a factor because it can get to 112 to 115F on the hottest days of the year here.

3. I didn't notice any added stability from the tail. I think it adds drag though, but not sure. Paul Frere's book "911 Story" has an excellent section on comparing Porsche tails. The tails are designed to cancel high speed aerodynamic lift. They don't produce downforce. You can experience a huge amount of lift in a crosswind, when the downforce acting on the front of the car is cancelled by crosswinds. That is probably the most nutty situation that you will expience in my opinion.
Old 03-28-2009, 01:05 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

While I concur on the esthetics, the reason for the tail is significant if you are driving this thing as speed. The tail makes a SIGNIFICANT difference above 100 mph. In fact, above 120 mph, it's very dicey to be driving them without a tail.

Certain whale tails (notibly the Carrera RSR tail) rams air directly into the engine and it will help engine cooling significantly. Although they will perform alright without, just operate from a position of knowledge.

Whale tails come in different varieties. Some are one piece fiberglass things (like the RSR tail I had on mine) and some are simply a tail bolted onto a stock steel lid. The "Whale Tail" is a bolt on thing that is quite massive. Have you considered a smaller tail? (I'm not talking about a Duck Tail from the early 911 RS). Do a Google Image Search for Carrera RSR and look at that. It's a significantly less obnoxious tail.

Old 03-28-2009, 03:37 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

911's are plain squirrley over 100 per without a tail.
Old 03-28-2009, 09:48 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You also mentioned Turbos. If you go that route, you have the intercooler to deal with, which is one of the reasons for the different tail.
Old 03-28-2009, 10:14 PM
TroyN
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

No affiliation but here's a used engine lid for sale: http://denver.craigslist.org/pts/1092332932.html
Old 03-28-2009, 11:08 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

Even if you go through the trouble of repairing the holes, you'll still have to repaint the decklid. And the tail you sell will be worth significantly less without a decklid connected to it. It almost always makes sense to just buy a $50-100 used decklid and get it painted.
Old 03-30-2009, 05:03 PM
1stgear
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
911's are plain squirrley over 100 per without a tail.
Well that explains why the car felt like it was wiggling when I hit 110 yesterday. Yay, I get to purchase a chin spoiler and Carrera tail.
Old 03-30-2009, 05:15 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by 1stgear
Well that explains why the car felt like it was wiggling when I hit 110 yesterday. Yay, I get to purchase a chin spoiler and Carrera tail.
Of course, that is assuming the rest of the car is sorted well....
Old 03-30-2009, 05:29 PM
1stgear
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
Of course, that is assuming the rest of the car is sorted well....
The car was just aligned and has good tires. She might need some shocks though. The road was less than avg though. Lot's of little dips and bumps.
Old 03-30-2009, 08:00 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

You might want to check the front and rear wheel bearings. For the fronts, shake the tires with both hands, and for the rear, just push against the bumper with your knee. If you see the wheels move laterally, then the bearings are gone.
Old 03-30-2009, 11:38 PM
pingman
Advanced

Good gawd, ain't ya'll ever herd of "tongue in cheek"? I think ya'll are jes jealous caus' ya cain't drive 120 on a curvey road like we do here in Jaw'ja! (For our friends it's called Georgia) To answer the question zeketrevor, the tail can be removed on most of the cars, but you need the grill that goes over the "hole". On the earlier cars, the temp would go up, but I had an '83 Targa that the temp of the engine was actually influenced by whether I had the Targa top on or not. Top on, temp okay, top off temp would go up. I just ran better oil. I have an '87 that did not have a tail, (Targa), that I added. The temp did not change on the '87 with the top on or off. So, tail or no tail, let the lines be your guide. My spring project is to remove the tail from my '87, and see it again the way I bought it. I took pictures of it original. I still love the lines. Turbo's need a tail. Mark
Old 03-31-2009, 11:20 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,111 Likes on 794 Posts

I would just another lid and paint it ... then you can have a choice of how you want your car..
Old 03-31-2009, 01:00 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Last edited by rusnak; 03-05-2010 at 12:17 AM.
Old 04-06-2009, 02:33 PM
jthwan22
Addict
Rennlist Member

tea tray tail above is a little bit smaller than a whale tail. If you remove the rear tail you should remove the front chin spoiler to balance the car.

Quick Reply: Can a whale tail be removed?