Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

No Buzzer--->Sluggish Start

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2002, 10:14 PM
Fassi
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post No Buzzer--->Sluggish Start

Once in a while when I put the ignition in the accesories position I don't hear the buzzer and the car starts very sluggishly (in other words it doesn't roar to life as usual). This problem is intermittent and doesn't seem to be related to temp. What is the relationship between the two and how can it be corrected? Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 06-08-2002, 10:26 PM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What kind of Porsche, year, make, etc?
Old 06-09-2002, 02:35 AM
Fassi
Advanced

It's a Carrera. Thanks.
Old 06-09-2002, 05:12 PM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

If it's an 84-89 3.2 liter, it could be the DME relay located along side the brain box. It provides power to the ignition system. Sometimes theses exhibit wierd symptoms, but usually they fail quickly and totally. Mine was apparently failing as it died without reason. I let the car set for 30 minutes which allowed the relay to cool down. I then started it up and drove 10 more miles and it totally went out. It required towing 38 miles to get it home. If it is a DME Relay, buy an extra and put it in the glove box. It's cheap insurance compared to a tow from god knows wherever.

Spider911
88 Carrera
Old 06-10-2002, 02:37 AM
Fassi
Advanced

Thanks for the tip, but I don't see how the relay to the fuel pump is related to the buzzer. In any case, I recently replaced this part (was ripped off big time by HBL in McLean, VA--$200 for a 10 minute job; worse, it turned out this wasn't even the fix). But you're right, it's a good idea to have one on hand. Maybe someone can start a thread on how to replace the DME relay, but in the meantime I'd appreciate any help on this little mystery. It's not urgent, because it rarely happens and the engine DOES start either way. Thanks again.
Old 06-10-2002, 10:15 AM
Chris Martin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Just a thought. Maybe I misread your post but it sounds like a similar problem to my SC. If you turn the key to start and nothing happens your ignition switch might be the culprit. Mine works 99% of the time, but occasionaly nothing happens when I turn the key to start.

Since I have an SC I cant verify the below, but it comes from Pelican. Sounds like a pretty good how-to to me...

"

If it is a DME problem, replace the DME relay, which sends power to the fuel pump. This is another one of those parts that is known to be flaky. The relay is under the driver’s seat next to the DME computer. It’s highly recommended to carry a spare DME relay anyways (a $40 part), so go ahead and get an extra just in case.

"
Old 06-10-2002, 04:00 PM
Fassi
Advanced

Hi,

I turn the key to start, and both indicator lights (alt. and oil) light normally. Only the buzzer does not sound.

Quick Reply: No Buzzer--->Sluggish Start