Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Early restorations

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2002, 09:36 PM
mogearhead
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Early restorations

A couple of questions for anyone that has restored an early 911 (specifically a 69, if it matters):
1. I need to remove the steering column to have the car "media blasted", but it appears to me to be held in place with round-headed bolts?? How these were even installed at the factory has me puzzled... Anyone?
2. I also need to remove ALL wiring prior to media blasting. Unless the main harness bundle(that runs from the trunk, through the tunnel and out to the back of the car)has a split/connection point (in the tunnel perhaps?), that I cannot see, it appears impossible for these large, round cable ends to pass through the holes either in the trunk, or even between the rear torsion bar tube and the body pan!
Suggestions? Thanks
Old 06-09-2002, 07:03 AM
Andreas Langhoff
Intermediate

Hi ,

if I remember well the steering column is held by three M8 bolts. I used a big slot screw driver to open then. (The heads are round, but slotted)

If removing the cables is too complicated, why don't you shield the exposed ends properly. Using heavy plastic and scotch should be sufficient.

Andreas
Old 06-09-2002, 08:47 AM
Series 900
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
the round head bolts are shear bolts. When put in they torque off the haed leaving the theft preventive round head. To remove, use a sharp flat chisel and tap the sides, they will turn, then vise grip em.

As far as the wiring harness, it can be removed intact, my suggestion is to bundle,plastic wrap it, and duct tape it.

Damon @ SERIES 900
Sunapee NH
Old 06-09-2002, 10:29 AM
mogearhead
7th Gear

Thanks for the replies, indeed the bolts (at least on this car) have to be the "shear-off" type, as there are no slots.

I am still puzzled by the wiring response: you say it can be removed intact? I cannot see how these large, round connectors can pass through the
smaller holes in the body panels. I would prefer to remove it entirely, but understand your suggestion to wrap/protect it if I dont.
Thanks

Quick Reply: Early restorations