Trickle charger for batteries

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 08:20 PM
pingman
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Trickle charger for batteries

Hi everyone,
Found a little helper I thought I would pass along. I have an '86 and '87 911.
The '86 has one of the gel-cell batteries, and not long after I bought it, the car
that is, the battery would discharge after 10 to 14 days of non use. I bought a
trickle charger, Die-Hard brand at K-mart for about $35.00. No more problems with discharge. Yes I have spent several hours looking for the source of the discharge with no luck. The PO or O's had a unique idea about electricity. I'm still trying to figure out some of this wiring. Anyway, the charger worked well on the '86 so I put one on the '87. A lot better starts, and always feels like a brand new battery! The '87 has a nearly new interstate lead cell battery. Just thought I'd pass this along. I've been using the charger on the gel cell for a year and am well satisfied. And no that is not my car in the avatar. I have been a member for 2 years and just now learned how to get an avatar. I have pictures of my cars, but am not having success editing my avatar. Give me a pair of channel locks and a screwdriver and I'll rebuild an engine. Give me a keyboard and I can't spell my name! Mark, (I think)
Old 03-16-2009, 09:54 PM
abe
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Boat owners use alot of gel batteries for convinience since you don't have to fill them up with distilled water. However, when I set my charger in the boat for gel batteries the setting is different because I recall the gel batteries should be charged at a lower voltage. That said, I do not know how the voltage on a trickle charger is set and I doubt the small amount of current will do any harm...neverltheless something to think about when charging a gel battery.
abe

Quick Reply: Trickle charger for batteries