Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Cable for the dash vent lower lever - red one???

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 01:20 AM
ajmarton
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Cable for the dash vent lower lever - red one???

I can't figure out what part ## I need so I am hoping someone can help me out. i have a 1989 911 Cab. The dash vent cable to the red (3rd lower vent lever) is kinked and needs to be replaced. Any ideas on the part number and suggestions on replacing it? TIA Andrew
Old 03-15-2009, 05:07 AM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think the cable is more like a thin wire. I'm trying to get my parts catalog to work, but it sort of died. I can't verify, but I think you have to buy the vent controls to get the wire.

I'd look at some hobby store or RC store to see if they have some wire that will work. They sell straight wire that is used to make controls for model planes and cars. Maybe a good old fashioned hardware store. Maybe McMaster-Carr www.mcmaster.com or Aircraft Spruce too.

If you don't have a micrometer, I can measure the diameter of the wire, but you'd have to measure the length.
Old 03-15-2009, 02:48 PM
ajmarton
Rennlist Member

Okay. thanks. Andrew
Old 03-15-2009, 04:26 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There is a separate part number for the flap box vents. It is a bowden cable. See #27. This might work.

Last edited by rusnak; 03-05-2010 at 12:18 AM.
Old 03-15-2009, 05:40 PM
ajmarton
Rennlist Member

Interesting. I guess I can order it and see what happens. It's interesting that there is no other cable except for the 2 that go L/R. Thanks for posting the illustration. Andrew
Old 03-15-2009, 06:54 PM
TA911-64
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Andrew, I'm posting some pics...I had the same problem (if this is your dash configuration). I repaired mine to a degree that it works without replacing parts. If you start by looking behind the brake booster/master cylinder area (with a flashlight!) hidden down and low you'll see the other end of that cable. Now look under your dash to see the cable (Undoubtedly kinked) attatched to the red control. With the control fully right position (Defrost) use 2 pliers to straighten out the bend (as perfectly straight as you can). Spray some lubricant on the cable and into the end of the outer sleeve (best as you can).
Don't touch the red control yet! now go back to the other end (By the brake master). After spray lube, manually turn the lever with a pry bar...this will pull the red control back to floor position. I did this a few times to free up the cable a bit. I found that I can use the control now if I push it slowly to the right.
It seems that it will kink if you push it quickly. I've heard this has happened to many others, so it's apparantly an "issue". Good luck.[IMG][IMG][/IMG][/IMG]
Old 03-15-2009, 06:59 PM
TA911-64
Instructor

Old 03-15-2009, 07:08 PM
TA911-64
Instructor

Andrew, the first pic is the lever with cable (lower right). The 2nd pic shows master cylynder area. If you follow that overflow hose coming out by the cap...the area where it turns and heads back is where that lever is...DOWN @ 12"... you'll find it! Good luck.
Old 03-15-2009, 07:13 PM
ajmarton
Rennlist Member

Thanks Tom. I will give it a try next weekend. I did look under the dash and the wire is "kinked" right there. It almost looks like a replacement wire was put in and it may be too long. But who knows - it may just be out of position. I will unbend the wire under the dash (it is quite acessible and visible) and then go in from the trunk and see if I can free it up. Right now the red **** is stuck slightly to the left of center. Thanks for the pictures - I really appreciate it! Andrew
Old 03-15-2009, 08:01 PM
TA911-64
Instructor

Andrew, my cable seemed too long also. Might be why this problem often occurs. I'd hate to go through the trouble of replacing only to face the same problem again! Mine works fine now that it's been straightened & lubricated, but I always move it slowly to avoid another kink.
Old 03-15-2009, 09:19 PM
ajmarton
Rennlist Member

From what I can tell it looks like there is no true replacement cable so the replacements must be too long. I will try your fix though as I only need to divert hot air to the foot wells on ocassion when it gets cold (not too often in So. Calif.) so I don't necessarily need to get into a major weekend repair. It's almost time to recharge my A/C!

Quick Reply: Cable for the dash vent lower lever - red one???