Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Updating Window Trim

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2002, 04:03 PM
Chad H
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Updating Window Trim

I have a quick question about updating the window trim. I have a 1977 911S that has been updated by a PO with the turbo widebody kit and some newer rims.

It looks nice but with the repaint coming up I was wondering, is there anyway to update from the chrome window trim that is on my year to the black trim of the 80's models?

I have a coupe that has the fold out rear windows as well. I like the chrome look to a degree but personally there are only a few colors that look good to me with chrome trim.

Thanks! Any help or ideas are appreciated.

Chad
Old 08-30-2002, 04:22 PM
Bobby Piper
2nd Gear

Chad, I actually just changed all my window trim from the faded anodized trim to chrome on my street SC (a few 78s came with chrome and I love the look). It's a lot of work, because all windows have to be removed, new trim installed, and then the windows reinstalled into the car. And its expensive. You'll have to buy all the new trim (which you can find used but it may take awhile), and you'll want new window seals as well. Also, you'll probably want new door handles to match the trim. So you're probably looking at at least $500 plus all of your labor.
Old 08-30-2002, 04:45 PM
TPink
Advanced

Question

Any suggestions on what to use to brighten up and restore the chrome? (If you can't change it, you may as well make it look good!)
Old 08-30-2002, 04:56 PM
Chad H
AutoX

Well I'm replacing the door handles anyway and I have to put in all new window seals (the current ones are ancient) so that won't be a problem.

Is it as simple (with the front/rear window) as purchasing a newer window seal and taking out my chrome(silver whatever) trim and installing the newer seal that doesn't require trim?

Thanks!
Chad
Old 08-30-2002, 07:24 PM
Todd
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a co-worker who just has all of his chrome painted satin black for about $150. I think that stuff is stainless steel, so one nick and the paint will come off(notuhng sticks to stainless). THere is some chemical that can be applied first to help the paint stick. It is not a difficult task overall. all the coversion car guys do it all the time.
Old 08-31-2002, 03:15 PM
Jeff Randall
Intermediate

While my trim isn't chrome, I recently painted my faded black trim and it looks great. Just taped it off and painted it with black primer. Looks like new. Sure it may get scratched, but for $4 you can simply touch it up.

I looked at taking all the trim off and updating it the hard way, but it looks fine and you can't tell it's been painted.

I'd look into painting before tearing your car all apart.

my two cents...
Old 08-31-2002, 08:00 PM
jlkline
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree with Jeff R.

I've also done this to the aluminum trim on a car I previously owned. Just mask carefully and then sand the trim with a 400 grit to give the surface some adhesion and spray. Allow plenty of drying time then remove the masking carefully. Any imperfections touch up easily by spraying a lit of paint into a cup and usung a touch up brush to apply.

I suggest using Wurth Semi Gloss Black laquer which can also be used on Fuchs wheels and other areas.

For 4 bucks to to a job like this, its a steal.

Quick Reply: Updating Window Trim