Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Oil splatter inside engine lid

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2002 | 07:33 PM
Face15
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Oil splatter inside engine lid

Anyone else have a straight line of oil splatter across the top inside of the engine lid? Looks to be coming off of the A/C and is directly above it. I assume this isn't normal - but the lid is stained a light yellow across the right side of the bay - indicating it's been going on for quite some time. Any help on a reason/possible fix for this??

Thanks,
Old 04-10-2002 | 09:35 PM
Carlos Artal
Advanced

Cool

Obvious stupid reply is "Are you sure your oil cap is firmly in place?".

It´s a wild guess, but perhaps it is not closing OK, and you are getting oil being thrown on pressure.
Old 04-10-2002 | 10:00 PM
Face15
Advanced

Carlos,
Yea, its on tight - the spray is coming off of the A/C compressor in a perfectly straight line. Oil coming out of the tube couldn't spray in this fashion!
Imagine your tires spinning with water on them (now hold the engine lid over the tire).

I think it may be the A/C shaft seal - from a few Pelicanites that have enlightened me.
Old 04-11-2002 | 12:45 AM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Todd, while it can certainly be your compressor seal, but look at your connections...oil may be leaking out of your connections and then sprayed in the fashion that you describe by the pulley.

I'm sure you've figured out that AC compressor oil, most that I've seen anyway, is yellow in color.

So I guess it's time to figure out if the oil is emminating from the pulley shaft or a fitting...just another suggestion for a possible place to look.

Good luck, let us know.
Old 04-11-2002 | 12:06 PM
PCA7GGR
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
The spray pattern you describe is typical of AC compressor oil leaking from the nut at the end of the pulley. At one time, the Porsche Service Dept. would "cure" the splatter by inserting a circular "O ring" piece of felt into the gap between the nut and the compressor pulley. It sounds like a crud "cure" but it worked on my first Turbo Look that had a similar oil splatter. Good Luck

Quick Reply: Oil splatter inside engine lid