Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 11:29 PM
superpilot27
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 87 targa door sealing adhesive?

I am replacing the door sealing p/n 911.531.095.40 on my 87 targa

and I'm not sure what adhesive to use.
It needs an adhesive to bond it to the front window seal and ...............................................the back window seal

one source told me 3M p/n 51135 black
one source said vulcanizing adhesive?
Does anyone have experience with this?
It is visible when I open the door and needs to be solid. I like to do stuff right.
any ideas?
Old 03-07-2009, 12:10 AM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Are you trying to glue the seal to the channel? If so, then use 3M Weatherstrip Adhesive. Or, there is a knock off brand made by Permatex that you can find at your local Kragen or Checkers Auto parts store. If you are trying to glue rubber to rubber, then I'd see if it can be done out of the car. Maybe super glue or gorilla glue, I dunno.
Old 03-07-2009, 12:55 AM
superpilot27
Intermediate

I am not planning to glue it in the channel. The screws should hold it in.
but the door seal is glued while installed in the car to the front window seal and rear window seal.
The sealant has to connect these three parts.
Old 03-07-2009, 01:47 AM
superpilot27
Intermediate

Rusnak glueing the seal in is the way to go it sounds.
I stand corrected. I just found some info about how to do this on PP forum. Thanks tab tanner and bill3667 I took your info and put it together here:

Adhesive:
3M's "Super Weatherstrip Adhesive Black" part#051135 (also has "08008" as a number on the box?)
Solvent:
3M has a solvent called oddly enough "General Purpose Adhesive Cleaner" P/N 051135-08984 made of Naphtha, Aliphatic, Xylene and Ethylbenzene.
Process:
1. Gently pull the old seal out, if it rips apart just make sure you remove it all.
2. Then clean the groove with prep solvent. use a PLASTIC putty knife to scrape out the old glue after it's been softened w/ the solvent. Very easy job. use the solvent on an old wash cloth and use a small PLASTIC putty knife to scrape the old rubber adhesive. Get the channel completely clean,
3. then dry.
4. Install the new seal[don't put glue on it yet] make sure it fits correctly.
5. Then use a small amount of 3m super weather stipp adhesive,3m works the best. Install it and close the door leave it set for about a half an hour. You are all done. GOOD LUCK

Does anyone have an idea on a Targa how to bond the ends of the seal to the front and rear window seals (shown in my pics with orange arrows)?
Old 03-07-2009, 02:03 AM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

that sounds like a good step by step guide, but I think that applies mostly to the coupe models, with a one piece seal. Your Targa looks like it may use a seal that has a more complicated shape. I'd read the instructions on the adhesive tube very carefully. I would maybe install the seal so that the ends press slightly against the surrouding seal, making an airtight fit. When I installed my carrera tail, I glued the ends of the tail seal together with super glue.

Probably the best way to go is to try test fitting everything without glue until you have a good idea of how you want everything to mate up. Apply the glue after you have it all figured out. Do a final cleaning with Isopropyl or aircraft solvent just before the glue.
Old 03-07-2009, 10:56 AM
mdistel
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

I installed a new lower door seal last year on my 87 targa and no adhesive was required. The one I removed also had on adhesive. At the points where the seal met the window seals there was a part of each the tucked inside of the lower door seal.
Old 03-07-2009, 11:59 AM
superpilot27
Intermediate

Nice.
I just looked at my front window seal to lower door seal connection shown above and it may just be tucked in but I can't tell until I pull it out. gotta get adhesive before that.
The rear seal shown in the last picture is glued or something to the rear window seal. no noticeable glue surrounding it on the seals but just on the connection. maybe it was super-glued by someone very patient.
maybe mine is missing something?

Quick Reply: 87 targa door sealing adhesive?