Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

993 Headers vs SSIs on a 3.2

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 09:31 AM
Rick K
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 993 Headers vs SSIs on a 3.2

Hey gang, I might get a crack at a set of 993 headers for my 84 carrera.

Any thoughts on this set-up? Current owner says that top-end RPM really gets a boost and he didn't notice and loss at the low-end (which was his concern).

How much better (performance-wise) would these be than my stock 3.2 headers right now? Would they have a throatier sound similar to the SSI's?

Just wondering if this would be a worthwhile investment - or if I should pay substantially more $$ to go the SSI route down the road.

TIA
Old 03-06-2009, 12:01 PM
g-50cab
Drifting

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread.php?t=459912
Old 03-06-2009, 01:46 PM
Rick K
Rennlist Member

Wow, well that link was certainly helpful.

So, do you think if I go 2 in / 1 out, my HP gain wouldn't be that significant? I'd have to go 2 out to gain?

the way I read that, is by going this route, my heat would work but suck, HP gain would be minimal if I go 2in/1out (don't want to go the 2 out route), but sound would improve?
Old 03-06-2009, 02:37 PM
g-50cab
Drifting

My opinion that on a carrera, even a ROW carrera, the most cost effective way to increase power is make sure you have a euro premuffler in place of the catalytic converter, then go with a single in, dual out sport muffler and get it all pulled together with a Steve Wong chip.

You'll get incremental (as in LOTS OF $$, a little HP) increases from changing out to SSI's - you'll get a little more incremental power from the 993 HE. You will not see any substantial increase in HP unless you change cams - and more important displacement. If you do that - then YES I would recommend the bigger primaries of either the 993 HE - or steve weiner has some custom GHL headers with heat that are larger primaries but still hook up to the 3.2 and 3.6 heater system.

I'm just one man who has been there and done that - but I have also read up and talked to many people over the years that are way smarter than I am.
Old 03-06-2009, 02:49 PM
Rick K
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by g-50cab
My opinion that on a carrera, even a ROW carrera, the most cost effective way to increase power is make sure you have a euro premuffler in place of the catalytic converter, then go with a single in, dual out sport muffler and get it all pulled together with a Steve Wong chip.

You'll get incremental (as in LOTS OF $$, a little HP) increases from changing out to SSI's - you'll get a little more incremental power from the 993 HE. You will not see any substantial increase in HP unless you change cams - and more important displacement. If you do that - then YES I would recommend the bigger primaries of either the 993 HE - or steve weiner has some custom GHL headers with heat that are larger primaries but still hook up to the 3.2 and 3.6 heater system.

I'm just one man who has been there and done that - but I have also read up and talked to many people over the years that are way smarter than I am.
very helpful. I've got the SW chip (made a huge difference) and I have a euro catbypass w/ the o2 bung right now. If I went to a straight pipe or fabspeed/dansk type premuffler, would that make any HP difference (basically, is there much difference b/t that and my current set-up)? Any sound difference?

Right now, I have an M&K 1in/1out which I love (great sound even though HP gain is not there - maybe even some loss), but would like a throatier sound if possible w/o going 2 out (don't want to cut rear valance) and HP gain is always a plus.
Old 03-06-2009, 02:59 PM
g-50cab
Drifting

Jerry Woods did a bunch of tests on the 3.2 - he found it better for torque and HP if there was slight back pressure with the euro premuffler. A test pipe produced less HP. Bruce Anderson's Performance Handbook is a great resource.

BUT - like most things associated with the engine - it's like baking a cake - everything needs to work together - intakes, TB, cams, compression ratios, ignition, fuel delivery, displacement, headers, mufflers, etc. Doing only one or two things out of relationship of the others and you just get an expensive cake that tastes like crap.
Old 03-07-2009, 06:39 PM
mb911
Pro

Received 76 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Rick K
very helpful. I've got the SW chip (made a huge difference) and I have a euro catbypass w/ the o2 bung right now. If I went to a straight pipe or fabspeed/dansk type premuffler, would that make any HP difference (basically, is there much difference b/t that and my current set-up)? Any sound difference?

Right now, I have an M&K 1in/1out which I love (great sound even though HP gain is not there - maybe even some loss), but would like a throatier sound if possible w/o going 2 out (don't want to cut rear valance) and HP gain is always a plus.
power loss? Have not heard that before. 99% of my customers that have tested their 1in's when properly mapped showed gains though only a few HP at max.
Old 03-08-2009, 10:33 AM
Rick K
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mb911
power loss? Have not heard that before. 99% of my customers that have tested their 1in's when properly mapped showed gains though only a few HP at max.
To be clear, I love the exhaust and have NOT had it tested. Apologies for making a baseless comment like that. I made that comment based on other feedback I have read from folks that have tested on this board.

Either way, doesn't matter, its lighter and sounds awesome.
Old 03-09-2009, 10:19 AM
911vet
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What's a good source for a euro premuffler?
Are any other mods "required" before installation of a SW chip?
Old 03-09-2009, 01:04 PM
g-50cab
Drifting

I looked for sales - actually got the euro from performance products new - they usually have a dansk sale in the spring. Got the muffler - a single in dual out from pelican. recently I bought mufflers used off the pelican used parts site - I think the last three mufflers I bought from there I haven't lost any money - and they are stainless - so not like they wear out.
Old 03-09-2009, 02:21 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by g-50cab

You'll get incremental (as in LOTS OF $$, a little HP) increases from changing out to SSI's - you'll get a little more incremental power from the 993 HE. You will not see any substantial increase in HP unless you change cams - and more important displacement.
+1 on all of that.
Old 03-09-2009, 11:31 PM
Todsimpson
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK, so an ROW 3.2, with 964 cams and SSI's...if some 993 exchangers came up for sale and I felt like spending some dough it might be worth it?

I figure the SSI's would be easy to sell and offset some of the cost.
Old 03-10-2009, 01:31 PM
g-50cab
Drifting

You'll probably lose some heating ability - but worth it? depends on how much your time is worth pulling the other one off. You'll gain some HP - especially at the top end -
Old 03-10-2009, 03:11 PM
Charlie C
Porsche Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by JackOlsen
+1 on all of that.
Sorry for going OT but your car looks great. Do you have any other photos posted?
Old 03-10-2009, 03:43 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Charlie C
Sorry for going OT but your car looks great. Do you have any other photos posted?
Thanks. I'll keep the interruption brief.

Quick Reply: 993 Headers vs SSIs on a 3.2