Seeking advice with sticking brake pedal

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 02:44 PM
JanusCole
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seeking advice with sticking brake pedal

Hey guys,

I have a 1989 964 Carrera4. I recently took the car out on the road after being parked for five months. And while the car runs okay, I am finding that the brake pedal is sticking. If I depress the pedal, it only springs back slightly and leaves the brakes engaged. I have to grap the pedal with the tip of my foot and pull it back in order to disengage it. And yet, that works fine. The brakes disengage and all is well. So it seems like the problem really is somewhere in the brake pedal mechanism. Everything seems to be lubed okay. So I am at a loss. Any ideas?

Thanks,

-Janus Cole
Old 03-05-2009, 03:36 PM
Brads911sc
Racer

sounds like a master cylinder issue. May want to check on the 964 board. I am not familiar with how they are set up...
Old 03-05-2009, 03:41 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You might be able to remove a pin (not familiar with 964s) to disengage the brake pedal from the MC. This will allow you to check for free and smooth movement of the brake pedal, and make sure that it is not sticking due to swollen or failed pedal bushings.
Old 03-05-2009, 08:05 PM
TA911-64
Instructor

Janus,
My previous car was a '91 C2. I still have my "Enthusiast's Companion" book by Adrian Streather ('89-'94). I looked at pictures in the book, and it shows a spring on the master cylinder pushrod as well as a
return spring beyond that pulling the pedal back. You should be able to discern where the problem is
in this area. Pull the carpet back and remove the wood piece at the clutch/brake area to reveal both springs. Hope this helps.
Old 03-06-2009, 07:17 AM
young_dennis
Advanced

Originally Posted by JanusCole
Hey guys,

I have a 1989 964 Carrera4. I recently took the car out on the road after being parked for five months. And while the car runs okay, I am finding that the brake pedal is sticking. If I depress the pedal, it only springs back slightly and leaves the brakes engaged. I have to grap the pedal with the tip of my foot and pull it back in order to disengage it. And yet, that works fine. The brakes disengage and all is well. So it seems like the problem really is somewhere in the brake pedal mechanism. Everything seems to be lubed okay. So I am at a loss. Any ideas?

Thanks,

-Janus Cole
I have the exact same problem and was wondering if I need to replace the master cylinder or the booster? maybe someone can shed some light on the situation

Quick Reply: Seeking advice with sticking brake pedal