Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Tire Choices with UTQG of 140 or higher

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2002, 03:15 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts
Post Tire Choices with UTQG of 140 or higher

Next year's <a href="http://www.opentrackchallenge.com/main.htm" target="_blank">Open Track Challenge</a> has raised the minimum treadwear rating for the Touring Groups' tires from 60 to 140, which means Yokohama A032R's are no longer legal. The new minumum is a treadware rating of 140.

What's the best dry track tire in this category?

Here are some candidates:

Bridgestone Potenza S-02 (140, but NLA)
Bridgestone Potenza RE71 (140)
Bridgestone Expedia S01 A/M (140)
Pirelli/PZero System Asimmetrico (140)
Michelin Pilot SX MXX3 (140)
Yokohama AVS Sport (180)
Bridgestone Potenza S02 Pole Posiiton (180)
BFGoodrich g-Force T/A KD (200)
Bridgestone Potenza S-03 Pole Position (220)
Kumho Ecsta MX (220)
Michelin Pilot Sport (not the 'Cup') (220)
Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar (220)
Old 09-03-2002, 10:37 AM
Richard Bernau
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Jack,
I saw you posted this question to the list and got some interesting responses (I am in digest mode so thought I might as well reply here). I know others have suggested the Goodyears and BFGs together with the Toyo T1S (not on your original list). I think you should add the MXX3 Michelin and the P-zeros to the list of possibles. The MXX3 is reputed to be the quickest wearing and highest grip OE tyre used by Porsche and when shaved down looks like a grooved slick and works very well. My experience with these is however limited. I have had experience with a 3.8 RSR race car that had to run non-R tyres for some sprint races once and the best we could find then was the Pzero. They worked very well.

As you may have guessed, shaving is a must to get rid of the tall squirmy tread blocks and to stop/minimise heat build up. Tread patterns like the Pzero and the MXX3 work well when shaved because they end up like lightly grooved slicks. SO2 type V patterns don't work so well IMO.

Another data point. The TIS in UK tests done by Subaru drivers (lots of discussion on Scoobynet) comes out as no better than SO2s. A shaved SO2 is however an option to think about as it has a grippier compound underneath the top compound.

The Falken Azenis RS also looks worth a look - it has big fat outer tread blocks that ought to work very well once shaved. These aren't available in the UK but folks using Falkens in Australia like them.

Other points:
Tyre rejuvenating fluids definitely help.

A durometer is a way to test relative hardness of different tyres.

Sorry I can't steer you to an absolute winner, but hope the info helps.

Richard
Old 09-03-2002, 10:54 PM
CamB
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was going to suggest the Falken Azenis Sport, but they don't make it in enough sizes to satisfy the fatty tyred Black Beauty.
Old 09-05-2002, 12:42 PM
Steve Riley
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jack -- I have used the Yoko AVS Intermediates on my 71 911 for 2 years now at numerous DE events. These tires really stick for a street tire. Also - Tire Rack currently has them on clearance -- my size 205/60/15 are only $47 each!

Quick Reply: Tire Choices with UTQG of 140 or higher