Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

pre-3/83 crankcase sump cover question

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 12:18 PM
dave morris
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts
Default pre-3/83 crankcase sump cover question

My new car was built in 1/83 and has the original crankcase sump cover (vs the drain plug on the side of the case).

So ... when draining oil, I remove 8 bolts that hold on the cover. Makes a mess. (Can't figure why Porsche built 'em this way ... ).

Question. Has everybody but the guy I bought my car from replaced their original sump cover with an aftermarket plate that incorporates a drain plug? Seems like it would make oil changes a lot easier/quicker etc etc. Is there any downside to using the aftermarket plate?

Another question. I saw somewhere in a picture posted on Rennlist a very cool looking aluminum finned aftermarket plate. Anyone know who sells it?

Many thanks.
Old 02-28-2009, 12:42 PM
genripper
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mainely Custom By Design makes several different style finned aluminum sump covers, really nice pieces.

mainelybydesign.com

If it were the original sump plate, it should have a drain plug in the plate, or the plug on the side of the block.
Old 02-28-2009, 01:06 PM
dave morris
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by genripper
Mainely Custom By Design makes several different style finned aluminum sump covers, really nice pieces.

mainelybydesign.com

If it were the original sump plate, it should have a drain plug in the plate, or the plug on the side of the block.
Thanks for the mainelycustombydesign.com info. That's what I needed.

Bentley may be incorrect but it shows my sump cover (w/o drain plug) on page 030-6. I have a hard time imagining anybody would sell what I have aftermarket. But then why would Porsche. Go figure.

Last edited by dave morris; 02-28-2009 at 01:59 PM.
Old 02-28-2009, 01:46 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Don't forget they were probably the last car maker in the world to still have a cassette player.
Old 03-01-2009, 12:42 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by dave morris
Thanks for the mainelycustombydesign.com info. That's what I needed.

Bentley may be incorrect but it shows my sump cover (w/o drain plug) on page 030-6. I have a hard time imagining anybody would sell what I have aftermarket. But then why would Porsche. Go figure.
Somebody at Porsche decided, when people started stripping the drain plug threads of the original covers, that making a cover with no drain plug would be cool. Those covers were the only version available, as replacements, for quite a while, but then nice, after market units started showing up at places like Performance Products in SoCal.

I, and my techs, couldn't stand the covers with no plug - what a mess at oil change time! Needless to say, my 1982 SC is fitted with a cover from PP (nice piece), along with an o.e. plug.
Old 03-01-2009, 02:06 PM
dave morris
Rennlist Member

Thanks Peter.

Quick Reply: pre-3/83 crankcase sump cover question