Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

eng dies when i pull cap to ck oil level

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 12:45 AM
bobiandola
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default eng dies when i pull cap to ck oil level

1985 911 3.2 .recently had a set of ssi's and new oil breather hoses installed along with some p.m. items .The car is all stock.the problem is that when i went to check the oil level the engine stalled as soon as i pulled the cap off.now the shop says that if I send out my chip and have it flashed to euro specs it should take care of that and its hunting at idle. beyond that it seems to run fine for what it is. Is this common or a freak thing? any help would be great!
Old 02-26-2009, 01:44 AM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

Common.

There should be a cone-shaped restrictor in the breather line. Without it, you'll get the idle change when you take off the cap.
Old 02-26-2009, 02:20 AM
wwest
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Due to the PCV valve, Positive Crankcase Ventilation, the idle will ALWAYS change when you remove the oil filler cap. Remove the cap, more unrestricted airflow into the intake via the PCV valve, the mixture leans out...

But it shouldn't stall unless the engine was already running too lean.
Old 02-26-2009, 02:23 AM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

no, Jack is right. The restrictor needs to be taken out of the old vent tube and installed into the new one. Hopefully no one threw the old one out yet. If so, you need to order a new restrictor.
Old 02-26-2009, 03:57 AM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

Well, I might be right and I might not. I've never done any work on a 3.2. My car has a 3.6.

But hell, I'm usually right.

It's easy to check. Use a vice grips or pliers to clamp the breather hose and then take the cap off -- if the engine almost dies, your leak is somewhere else. If the idle stays steady with the line pinched, I'll bet your restrictor is missing.

This is the part:

It goes in the line that runs from the oil filler neck to the intake (not the one that goes from the crank case breather to the oil tank). On a 3.2, the part number is 930-107-289-00.
Old 02-26-2009, 11:26 AM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Yep, Jack's correct. As soon as I read the OP I knew that the technician threw away the old hoses, the one to the filler neck still had the restrictor inside it.

Quick Reply: eng dies when i pull cap to ck oil level