Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

911SC Auxillary Oil Cooler

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 08:19 PM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 160 Likes on 79 Posts

Don't think I will need a fan as I have taken the A/C out. when we install the new cooler I am also replacing the oil lines and I would suggest everyone check the oil lines if they are original. I qwill take and post pictures when the job is done later this month
Old 03-05-2009, 10:12 AM
cbush
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lots of good posts on options for updating the air cooler, but I still wonder why one would do this if they are not having any cooling problems with the trombone oil cooler. Clearly there is entertainment value in replacing it, but once you put in a finned oil cooler, then you put in a fan to push air through it, then a new front spoiler for air flow, then a new rear spoiler to balance the car, etc, etc etc.
Old 03-14-2009, 08:34 AM
whiskey52
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I replaced the trombone with a brass oil cooler and have seen slightly lower temps on the track. I also moved the turn signals outboard and tossed the parking lights. improved air to the front fender area. it still relies on moving air for best cooling. if you "stop and go", get a fan kit too. jmho
Old 06-20-2016, 04:47 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackPearl
Traud: I have the brass-tube cooler (I counted 23 brass tubes, I think) and installed a Spal motorcycle/ATV fan to push air from the front of car and out over the wheel. The fan is operated by a fuse-linked switch on the dash and I used a 30-amp relay to give direct power to the fan from the battery. the fan is 6" diameter, and is mounted directly to the cooler. I also added a running light scoop for forced air when moving. I've driven the car in May through 100-degree desert heat with no issues ... never saw more than 190-degrees on the temp gauge.

Google "Spal" and check out their fan options. If you go with a brass-tupe type or a Carrera radiator type you will want a fan either way. You shouldn't have to pay more than $100.00 for the fan.

The entire retro-fit took me about 2 hours .... a six-pack, some Norman Brown on the CD player, and a good set of jack stands. I didn't drain the oil, but you'll spill a bit getting the trombone off, so use a big pan under the cooler. (Nytrile gloes and a big role of paper towels is a good idea, too).

Good luck and stay cool.
Was thinking of adding a fan to my brass cooler and found this old thread. Got any pics?
Old 06-23-2016, 05:33 PM
Richard C2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I have an '81 SC. The trombone was worthless imho. Saw some elevated temps on the track which would cause me to cut the session short. I mounted a Mocal oil cooler in the right front wheel well (forward of the wheel/tire) with a Spal fan attached to it. Relay so powered directly from the battery and switch mounted on the dash (there are actually cutouts - one on either side of the tach - that you can feel if you run your fingers over the surface of the fascia around the tach). I bought a 944 rear wiper switch. Everything has worked great and the setup makes a big difference, whether on the track or in stop and go driving in hot weather.
Old 06-23-2016, 05:54 PM
sithot
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 126 Posts

A friend installed an Elephant cooler along with a custom line he got from Chuck to feed his center cooler and run in series. Car is a 3.2 SS MFI hot rod that never runs hot. The setup is beautiful.

Quick Reply: 911SC Auxillary Oil Cooler