Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

I'm goin' for it Honey....

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2002, 04:31 PM
JonT.
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile I'm goin' for it Honey....

I finally made up my mind to keep my 80sc Targa--triple black. I've had it for 6 years and it has been having problems with oil leaking and needs a' fixin'. I was going to upgrade to a 964 but decided keep what I've got and change to my liking. Here is a list of upgrades I am proposing and would appreciate any comments/suggestions (positive or negative).

Primary intent is fun street driving and occasional DE event at new racetrack here near Omaha, NE.

1-upgrade to 964 grind cams
2-JE pistons
3-B & B dual outlet exhaust--with pre 1974 heat exhangers.
4-fix all leaks
5-Any recommended intake modifications???
6-New HRE racing fuchs lookalikes--17x7.5 front, 17x9 rear, Yokahama AVS intermediates all around 215x45x17 front, 255x40x17 rears.

This is all I can afford now anyway...unless I bust out the plastic.

I just want to make sure I don't overlook any obvious things and I want to do it correctly with help from my Rennlist buddies.
Old 04-09-2002, 05:24 PM
James Achard
Pro

Jon, Just so you know, the B&B dual out exhaust is LOUD. I have both, single and dual out and I have to use the single at Limerock otherwise I violate the dB limit(84dB). Plus you have to consider the WAF( Wife Acceptance Factor). I cannot carry a conversation between 2.5 and 3.5K.

Cheers, James
Old 04-09-2002, 05:43 PM
pbs911
Instructor

Jon, I know how your feel. I was seriously looking to trade my 78SC for a 993. I had a buyer for the SC and an offer on a 993. Just couldn't do it. Too much work, pride and joy in the SC. They will never make another car like. With the money I saved I went with Fikse wheels in the same size your looking at, and am planning a F-50 brake upgrade and a modified 3.6 transplant. In the end I'll end up with a lighter, faster car than the 993 I was looking at. Sounds like you made the same decision.

AS for the intake, you are running the CIS system, right? Some say that changing over to the European version is good for a few extra ponies. I don't know if it will help, but here is a link to extracting HP out of the CIS system.
<a href="http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/911_engine_rebuild/911_engine_rebuild2.htm" target="_blank">http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/911_engine_rebuild/911_engine_rebuild2.htm</a>

Good luck!
Old 04-09-2002, 05:52 PM
JonT.
Advanced

Regarding the exhaust--i'm trying to find something that sounds bbbbbbbbaddd to the bbbbone. My brother drives a mustang cobra with dual flowmasters and no cats and screams. I know mine will never sound like that but I do want it to sound agressive. Is there another brand you'd recommend? I've heard GHL, Fabspeed, Monty, Borla as far as brands go but never heard them in person. I've got GAF factor to deal with--but who wouldnt chose a screaming 911 over a screaming girlfriend/wife??? the exception being in the sack of course....
Old 04-09-2002, 06:11 PM
James Achard
Pro

Jon, The Dual B&B sounds really good. My mistake for not clarifying that I just wanted to make sure you knew that before spending the cake..Good luck with all the other mods. too. Sounds like alot of fun!!

James
Old 04-09-2002, 09:08 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts
[quote]Regarding the exhaust--i'm trying to find something that sounds bbbbbbbbaddd to the bbbbone. My brother drives a mustang cobra with dual flowmasters and no cats and screams.<hr></blockquote>

Bad to the bone is very easy, and cheaper than just about any other option. If it were made in Germany, they'd call it:

<a href="http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=55444" target="_blank">See this thread for a wealth of information.</a>
Old 04-09-2002, 09:12 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts
On a related note, I've got a B&B dual-in, single out for sale. You need to have the B&B headers for it, but I'm letting it go cheap.

Quick Reply: I'm goin' for it Honey....