CNC Machined Floorboards for 911

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2002, 12:49 AM
James Achard
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb CNC Machined Floorboards for 911

All,
I have just manufactured some floorboards to replace our wood ones. I plan on selling them but would like to offer them to my fellow Rennlisters first. They are CNC machined out of 6061 Aluminium and are available in silver, black and red. Other colours will be available for an extra charge. So far the drivers side is only for the 915 transmissions but I will have a G50 one soon. I plan to sell them for 150.00 each or 280.00 for a set. Please reply to this post and let me know if you have any questions. I will be able to deliver them by the first week of May. If I get a large response it will be sooner. As always, any constructive critisism is welcome as well as anything else you all might want to see as a product. I have a full machine shop at my disposal!!

Cheers, James
Old 04-09-2002, 01:29 AM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts
Your price point is too high. Make them $120 per set, and you'll sell a lot.

<a href="http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=64791" target="_blank">See this thread.</a>
Old 04-09-2002, 11:53 AM
James Achard
Pro

Jack, OK, I can lower the price a bit. I looked at the Rennline ones and in comparison mine are nicer in quality and design, IMO. GT- Racing sells theirs for 195.95 and 175.95 respectively. So, that said, it's a tough market with the prices all over the place. I will reduce the price to 100.00$ for the drivers side and 120.00$ for the passenger side. Thank you for the input!! I really apreciate it. Is there anything else you would like to see in regard to products?

Cheers, James
Old 04-09-2002, 04:48 PM
Howard
Racer

James,

I'm planning on machining some foot boards as well. I would think that your passenger plate with all the cutouts would be annoying since the shoe toe may fall into them. I instruct now and then and would want a nice solid footing since the students scare the heck out of me ! I tend to place heavy pressure on both feet as a passenger. The driver's side is no problem since you never actually make contact with the footboard. I plan to use aluminum diamond plate with a series of 1.5" diameter holes to keep the weight to a minimum, then anodize them in black.
Good job on the boards ! Are you using Fadal or Haas CNC machines?
Old 04-09-2002, 05:08 PM
James Achard
Pro

Howard, In regards to the relief on the pass. side, your feet would have to be about a size 2 to fit through one of those holes I thought about this when I designed them and had my instructor as well as my wife try to break this plate while we were doing some spirited driving, to no avail. I have a Milltronics RH-20 with Solidworks as my Cad package and Camworks for all the CAM work. I have been looking at the Haas machines. How do you like yours??

Cheers,James
Old 04-09-2002, 05:56 PM
Howard
Racer

We have 14 Fadals and 3 Bostomatics, a Cincinnatti HMC, and a Burgmaster. The largest machining center is 30" Y x 80" X. We use Unigraphics Solutions for design and mfg, as well as Mastercam and Surfcam for shop floor programming.
I realize your cutouts are small, and an adult foot would certainly not fit. It would just be my preference to have smaller openings with a .75" width between them. JMPO
Old 04-09-2002, 08:22 PM
911SOUK
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Howard, I'd be interested in the driver's side for my 76S. I'm interested in James'also, but that's too much money. I'm not cheap, but I look for value. I'd rather live with my delaminating wood boards for now since they are covered by the floor mats anyways. (No offense James) I think the diamond plate aluminum word be cheaper (I hope). As for pricing, why base your prices on what the others are charging. Establish a reasonable margin for yourselves and go from there. I deal with venders all the time, and they are always wanting to be a hair under the competition, and that makes sense. But, I'm assuming you guys are enthusiasts try to make a little extra off of our passions (yours and ours), so why not price them with a reasonable margin and become the leader. It looks like these will be great products, and if you guys go your own way on pricing (the unconventional way), you may make just as much money on the volume.
Old 04-09-2002, 10:51 PM
James Achard
Pro

911SOUK, Part of my original post was to ask for folks advice and input. I can easily come down on price if there is enough demand. When you are a one man show trying to get a business off the ground, it's hard to know where to start. By coming here, I felt that I would get honest input. Price and asthetics are all part of that. As Jack pointed out, if I could make them for 120.00 a set, I would do well. That is very difficult when you only have interest in one set and are trying to pay for a 50K machine That said, I appreciate the input and will consider the options. In regard to diamondplate, I prefer 6061 AL since it is stronger and easier to work with in regard to cosmetics. Please feel free to e-mail me offline if you have any requests and I will be happy to help. I have also considered making 20 sets and handing them out on a first come, first serve basis. If folks like them then I will make more and have more data from which to base my prices on(ie. runtimes, material costs etc.)

Cheers, James
Old 04-10-2002, 12:11 AM
911SOUK
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Man I wish I could have a CNC machine.

I commend you, James, for your business initiative. I hope you didn't take my comments the wrong way. I think the point I want you to walk away with (and all the other venders on the list) is that you can make more money in the long run if your prices are fair to you and the buyer, forget what all the others are charging. I think Brian B. put it best when he said he'd " rather make $1000 off a customer time over time rather than make $10,000 only once." That's close to what he said. Customer Loyalty = Longevity!

Good luck to your business venture. You're off to a good start by asking for input.

Now can I have one of the first free twenty sets?? Please.
Old 04-10-2002, 11:41 AM
James Achard
Pro

911SOUK, Nothing was taken the wrong way. Once again, I appreciate the input. In regard to the floorboards, what year is your car and what colour would you like?? I will be going to the anodizer this week. If you know of anyone else who needs a set please spread the word.

Cheers, James
Old 04-10-2002, 01:05 PM
aquabat911
Instructor

James, this may be a little off subject but kinda related. have you considered manufacturing block-off plates for all the holes left in the cat when you remove AC, heaters, etc. I have several haoles in my car the I have fabricated covers for. I cut them out of .050 aluminum with snips. They work, but dont look that great. I realize 050 is punch pressed or lasered but perhaps you could come up with a different solution. Nice job on the floor boards, and I think 100 and 120 is probably closer to a reasonable amount. Good luck,
Old 04-10-2002, 01:07 PM
aquabat911
Instructor

James,
thought of something else, have you considerd billet hinges for the deck lid and hood? just a thought.
Old 04-10-2002, 05:23 PM
Glenn
Racer

Thumbs up

[quote]Originally posted by James Achard:
<strong>911SOUK, Nothing was taken the wrong way. Once again, I appreciate the input. In regard to the floorboards, what year is your car and what colour would you like?? I will be going to the anodizer this week. If you know of anyone else who needs a set please spread the word.

Cheers, James</strong><hr></blockquote>

Hi James,

I have a 1973 Targa - are the floor boards the same as for a coupe? If so I might be interested in a black set.
Thanks Glenn
Old 04-10-2002, 05:39 PM
James Achard
Pro

Glenn, I will have to double check that. I also want to be sure that they will fit pre '74 cars. Thank you for the inquiry.

Cheers, James
Old 04-11-2002, 10:29 AM
richard glickel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
James,

Are the aluminum boards lighter than the fibreglass (or ABS, not sure what they're made of)replacements sold by Performance Products? Also, how do they compare price-wise? (I've seen them pictured in the Performance catalog, but didn't really look too closely at the product).

Good luck with your new business!

Richard
'87 Carrera 3.6L

Quick Reply: CNC Machined Floorboards for 911