Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

POR-15 on Windshield frame?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 03:54 PM
VTCMart
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default POR-15 on Windshield frame?

I am in the process of replacing my windshield (it's already out) and I had some very light rust near the bottom of the frame. I sanded it down and am ready to put a coating on it and was considering POR-15. Since I have never used this product I thought I'd ask if it is a good application for it and wanted to make sure it will not cause sealing issues with the windshield gasket. If not what type of product would you recommend, my second choice would be a coat of rustproofing spray paint for metals (like rustoleum). I am only prepping the area that will be covered by the windshield gasket. Thanks!
Old 02-16-2009, 04:36 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

No way-don't do it. POR-15 is quite thick and will cause you issues on seating. I'd go with a rust converter in a rattle can. Rustoleum makes one-I'm sure HD or Lowes has it.

They call it Rust Reformer.
Old 02-16-2009, 05:20 PM
VTCMart
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, Ed, that's exactly what I was afraid of just had never seen it in person. I'll go with a light spraying of Rustoleum.
Old 02-16-2009, 06:38 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

the rust converter products brush on, and you want to leave light rust in place so that it can be converted to a rust proof coating. If you have already sanded, then you need primer.
Old 02-16-2009, 06:53 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

The Rustoleum Reformer is a rust converter that is available in spray or brush-on. I'd remommend the spray based on the application.I've got a can of the spray in my garage-flat black, got it at Home Depot.

Quick Reply: POR-15 on Windshield frame?