Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Favor after a serious wreck please

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 11:59 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 1,033 Likes on 464 Posts

Glad everyone will be alright, I would have thought otherwise from the photos. Sure was a nice car.
Old 02-17-2009, 12:23 AM
kallberg
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad your sons are alive.
Old 02-17-2009, 10:07 AM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad your sons are alive.
Old 02-19-2009, 08:50 PM
911cabriolet
Intermediate

Glad everyone is okay.
Old 02-20-2009, 06:45 PM
aron in toronto
Pro

First of all glad your boys made it through that crash.

Secondly there is another CE for sale over on Pelican that may give you a data point of comp pricing.
The one on Pelican is a Targa, so perhaps others will be able to help out on the prices of coupes vs targas.

http://socalbmwe21.tripod.com/carrera.html

I have no affiliation with the car or seller, but it is a beauty.
Old 02-21-2009, 01:25 PM
mj1pate
Three Wheelin'

Received 116 Likes on 78 Posts

Yes, that one is a beauty. I had American Auctions and Appraisals Inc develop a market appraisal of my son's car and the appraisal came in *very* satisfactory. The Commemorative Edition had appreciated since its purchase last year from Victory Motors in Houston; acknowledging Bob Neal at Victory had given my son a good price on the car to begin with.

My son is pulling through. The biggest issues include the amount of pain meds (which will linearly decrease with time) and periodic separation anxiety concerning his fondly remembered 911.

I would advise anyone with "special" cars in the 911 genre to obtain preemptive, professional market appraisals of your car. Indeed, "special" can mean many things, including any among "rare", "low mileage", "celebrity owned", "remarkable condition", etcetera. The cost of this is peanuts compared with the implication of not having one.

I will likely buy the car back from insurance. As to if we mount the drive train into a donor car or sell wheels and parts will depend on my son's disposition. I suspect that the former is the way that he will want to go. Time will tell if its the way that I am "prepared" to go. My garage is tiny for such an operation, and my 928 misses its stable. But it will be weeks of storing the parts in my garage until he can really set about deciding which direction he will choose.
Old 02-21-2009, 01:35 PM
mj1pate
Three Wheelin'

Received 116 Likes on 78 Posts

Oh.....P.S.
If you own a vintage 911 and would like to proceed with a market appraisal, you might enquire of Amy Goodell of AAI (as referenced above). She has just ground through this for me and could do so for others, or refer you to an AAI close to you. Her tel# is 410-876-8210, in Maryland. "Seeing" the car isn't necessary for the appraiser, but providing a PPI kind of inspection, lots of photos, upgrade and maintenance documentation of the car are essential.
Old 02-21-2009, 03:43 PM
RacerX1166
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

First and foremost, sympathies to your family and hope your son will continue to improve. Condolences on losing the car; she was an absolute beauty!

As a bit of preventative measure (after the fact), insurance with an agreed upon value does a lot for peace of mind. I had my car for all of a month before I decided to go that particular route and it helps me sleep at night should the worst happen.

Best of luck.
Old 02-21-2009, 08:06 PM
justinsrx7
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Your sons are very lucky boys. I wish tem a very speedy recovery. If they were in any other car, this could have been a lot worse.
Old 02-22-2009, 04:32 AM
HarryD
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Glad to hear you sons will be ok.

Sorry for the car. You may want to consider joining PCA (if you do not belong already) and have send you a report on the potential value of your car (http://www.pca.org).

From the Web Site:

"The PCA Valuation Program

The Valuation Committee was established by the Executive Council in 1979 to help PCA members insure older model Porsches. There is no charge to PCA members for this service.

Specifically, there are two problem areas in which we try to help. One, obtaining a proper level of insurance coverage for an older Porsche that might otherwise be considered nearly valueless by an insurer, and two, establishing a proper value for an older Porsche in the case of a claim settlement dispute where the owner thinks the recently-deceased Porsche is worth more (sometimes considerably more) than does his insurance company."
Old 05-14-2009, 08:53 PM
tomphot
Intermediate

Looks like our favorite dismantler in Georgia just bought this car -http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread.php?t=474452
Old 05-15-2009, 07:44 PM
Mercedesben
Burning Brakes

They were very lucky!!!
I hope your son makes a speedy recovery, from the looks of the car he could have been much worse.
Old 05-15-2009, 07:59 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I truly wish you and yours' the very best...had to be a terrible event for you and the guys.

Best of luck,

Doyle
Old 05-15-2009, 08:19 PM
tomphot
Intermediate

For those who have not clicked over to the other thread - the car was bought at auction for 5.2K - probably about 6K after all fees delivered to GA

Quick Reply: Favor after a serious wreck please