Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

It cost HOW MUCH - Part Deux...

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 01:54 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Default It cost HOW MUCH - Part Deux...

This thread is an extension of one from a while back that you'll probably remember...

https://rennlist.com/forums/911-foru...ht=915+rebuild

The 915 differential housing provides a mounting surface for the primary, rear pinion shaft bearing. The outer race for that bearing becomes loose in the housing, and must be repaired for a long-life result. That bearing race is loose in, from my experience, 95% of diff housings, and there are many ways to correct the problem. Unfortunately, most of those "repairs" are defective either (1) aesthetically, or (2) functionally. Pictured below is easily the most horrific of both...

Picture numbers 1&2 are the ghastly mess that I discovered inside a 915/68 transmission. a mess that should cause great concern in the mind of any DIYer! This "repair" was done by someone who had no idea of the internal stresses, assembly dimensions, or other factors in play inside the 915, and this transmission had numerous other problems as well. I have a hunch that this 915 didn't last very long since its previous repair.

Picture numbers 3&4 show the result of a technically correct repair that will allow further use of the diff housing. The outer bearing race (from a new bearing), has been installed into a steel shim, which was machined for this particular application. The bearing now sits perfectly perpendicular to the pinion shaft, and its center will perfectly match the design dimension between the pinion shaft and main shaft.
Attached Images     

Last edited by Peter Zimmermann; 02-02-2009 at 02:10 PM.
Old 02-02-2009, 02:10 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Wow Pete, I did better work than that on my ATC110 when I was 12 years old and installed a cam who's lobes exceeded the size of the race. Who would do that? How would you do that? Is there not an versized race that could be fitted? Some people should just be shot.
Old 02-02-2009, 02:42 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 97 Posts

Someone must have had a drill press and LOTS of spare time on their hands! Good grief, that "mechanic" needs to be identified and asked to "step away from the toolbox please!"
Old 02-02-2009, 02:45 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Toby Pennycuff
Someone must have had a drill press and LOTS of spare time on their hands! Good grief, that "mechanic" needs to be identified and asked to "step away from the toolbox please!"
That isn't the work of a drill press, it's the work of a hammer and punch! Someone wacked on it with a sledge hammer and center punch!

Someone needs to scream in his ear "This isn't Detroit"...
Old 02-02-2009, 02:47 PM
Brads911sc
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is sad. Thanks for the pics Pete.
Old 02-02-2009, 03:58 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by douglas bray
...Someone wacked on it with a sledge hammer and center punch!
Exactly, and this one is easily the worst I've ever seen. The way that the metal was displaced was so bad that I just stood there and stared at it. That, and other elements of the "rebuild" were so bad that I probably should have done a video!
Old 02-02-2009, 06:23 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,120 Likes on 802 Posts

yeah but holding up that 40lb Beta camera would have been a strain ..

but seriously folks......

Is that a readily available shim Pete ? and how do they go about pressing it in ?
Old 02-02-2009, 06:26 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Reinforcement of the fact that anytime you see a car ad that states "rebuilt transmission", one needs to immediately ask: BY WHO????????
Old 02-02-2009, 09:35 PM
84_Carrera
Legacy Flounder
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
Reinforcement of the fact that anytime you see a car ad that states "rebuilt transmission", one needs to immediately ask: BY WHO????????
Or, BY WHOM???????
Old 02-03-2009, 06:38 AM
Daniel Dudley
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A good example of how there is never enough time and money to do it right the first time, but always enough time and money to do it over again. That repair looks better than new. Maybe you should peen it in, just to be safe.
Old 02-03-2009, 11:24 AM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Daniel Dudley
A good example of how there is never enough time and money to do it right the first time, but always enough time and money to do it over again. That repair looks better than new. Maybe you should peen it in, just to be safe.
LOL! I considered that, but I can't find a punch as big as the one the last guy used !
Old 02-03-2009, 01:38 PM
The Brewmeister
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Man that's ugly. Thanks for the nightmares.

Quick Reply: It cost HOW MUCH - Part Deux...