Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Re-painting question

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 10:02 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 77 Posts
Default Re-painting question

My next project on my '83 Sc is a complete re-paint. It is now various shades of white as you may be able to tell. My plan is to have all the glass removed as well as doors, bumpers , hood and deck lid. When re-assembling all new rubber and decals will be installed. Besides making the paint uniform it will allow a through examination for rust under the front and rear window seals. Now the question both my wife and I really like blue, even though our '09 C2S is classic artic silver. However it does have blue interior. Thinking of doing the car in Baltic blue. Yes I know that you will always tell a re-paint if you look closely in door jams etc but with a 26 year old car that is really not stock is that an issue. I think the darker metalic blues really look good on the 911 body. Comments and or suggestions.

The car is clearly not stock and more of an RS clone inside and out with significant suspension and mechanical upgrades. bottom line a real fun car.
Attached Images  
Old 02-02-2009, 10:37 AM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

The only way I would consider a color change would be a complete strip to a bare tub and either media blast or chemical strip. Otherwise you will never get the paint every where it needs to be and you will probably have adherence problems where the surface was unable to be prepped correctly.

I think white SC's look nice anyway
http://www.autofarm.co.uk/projects/about_recreations
Old 02-02-2009, 11:14 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

[QUOTE=MUSSBERGER;6242166]The only way I would consider a color change would be a complete strip to a bare tub and either media blast or chemical strip. Otherwise you will never get the paint every where it needs to be and you will probably have adherence problems where the surface was unable to be prepped correctly.

I think white SC's look nice anyway
http://www.autofarm.co.uk/projects/about_recreations[/QUO

Tend to agree with you Besides taking a white SC to Parade on an open trailer pulled by a white Cayenne GTS, paints a nice mental picture.
Old 02-02-2009, 12:03 PM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jack, I think the White really sets the car off. I would stay with that color.
Old 02-02-2009, 12:12 PM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ron mcatee
Jack, I think the White really sets the car off. I would stay with that color.
Ron:

How come I knew you would say that and now that I have tested the waters, white it stays. Still need to find 2 16 X 8" Fuchs in good condition though to make it look right
Old 02-02-2009, 07:51 PM
User 040621
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 49 Posts

Stay with (original color) white.....correct full body/tub repaints are tough....and a dark metallic will really show every flaw on every panel.......and then there's keeping it clean. After owning black cars and motorcycles - and spending more time cleaning/waxing than driving......all of our cars are now white.
Old 02-02-2009, 08:34 PM
justinsrx7
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Well, I have to disagree with everyone. This is your car and as you stated, it's not stock and thus not a show car. If you love the Blue, then paint it the blue. I would go through the entire car with the painter though and figure out what visible areas would remain white and make sure you could live with them. If you can, then do what makes you happy.

Quick Reply: Re-painting question