Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

what chip is best

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 10:26 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,118 Likes on 800 Posts

so did you fix your car ? what fixed it ?
Old 02-05-2009, 10:40 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ohh, no I was making a facetious remark about "fixing" my post about "not enough weight" to smoke the rear tires in a 911. I think you'd probably need to power brake or something, but seriously I didn't give it much thought. The tires might not smoke until you get into high second or third gear, at which point torque comes into play again. In first gear, too little weight, tires spinning way too slowly due to the low gearing of first gear. If you don't power brake, the car finds traction and merely shoots forward without producing smoke. Think of Newton's first law of physics. An object at rest tends to stay at rest. Add mass, and it takes more force to make it go forward. A light car will get moving with less forward force. When smoking the tires, you want the tires to turn much faster than the forward motion of the car. If you can get the car to stay stationary, and add downforce as a bonus, then all you need is torque. So, a heavy car with a lot of torque can smoke the tires better than a light car with low torque.

That's not to say it can't be done in a 911, but it would take a lot of work on the tranny, clutch, and engine. And you'd need to get the tires spinning really fast. I used to smoke the tires on my Honda ATC 250R 3-wheeler by doing donuts. It wouldn't start to smoke the tires until I got into second gear. It would spin and create noise, but it took more heat than I could generate in first gear to produce smoke.

anyway, sorry for the hijack. Back to your regular programming.

Last edited by rusnak; 02-06-2009 at 12:21 AM.

Quick Reply: what chip is best