Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

what chip is best

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 10:32 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

I KNOW you didn't say that. But the statement I implied is still there. You're so friggin' stubborn that you don't hear what you're saying. You stated the chips are "basically timing modification". I say EXACTLY.

Yes, Porsche did leave something on the table when they mapped the chips to allow for various fuel quantity, etc. Just like they setup the suspension to protect the average driver from potential oversteer. Another example: How many cars are driving with 29psi up front and 36psi at the rear when on the track or racing? Do you really believe those are the optimum settings for an '84 911?
Old 01-30-2009, 11:52 PM
Daniel Dudley
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stay6
i'm very curious that not many others have expressed an opinion.
They already gave you the answer.

Go over to Pelican, and you will read about a hundred SW testamonials.

Loren is on many of them.
Old 01-31-2009, 12:16 AM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

"Yes, Porsche did leave something on the table when they mapped the chips to allow for various fuel quantity, etc."

That's correct! But the reason for that, other that what the "tuners" say,
is for a margin of safety to avoid detonation under ALL driving conditions.
To exploit that margin of safety because it's there, does a disservice to
Porsche owners who don't fully understand engine dynamics. Again, the
3.2 Carrera engine is not like the later 964/993 which have knock sensors
to help avoid problematic engine loads which can damage engines.

You just can't "push" those older Porsche engines closer to their maxs
as you can with the later engines which have more robust engine management
systems as Porsche did during the later 964/993 product developments.
Now all OEM auto manufactures use knock sensors to achieve higher max
torques that were not possible before.
Old 01-31-2009, 12:23 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

Well, I've got a SW chip that is mapped such that it does need attention to octane. That is why I know where a bunch of gas stations with 100 octane are in SoCal, as well as keeping some on hand, so I can keep the right mix of octane in my tank. So, I feel like I am looking out for my engine AND I'm taking advantage of some extra power that was there for me.
Old 01-31-2009, 02:49 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

this was caused by a chip, swear.

http://www.nine11design.com/dyno.html
Old 01-31-2009, 03:48 AM
DRACO A5OG
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whoa, that was freakin sick, a chip did that???
Old 01-31-2009, 08:56 AM
84_Carrera
Legacy Flounder
Rennlist Member

Nice Doug, I was at a dyno day with the SHO guys at one point. We wanted to see how much the car was aero-limited (do a 5th gear to redline run on the rollers). Well, looks like we top out (stock) around 143mph aero-limited, but the car's capable of exceeding 200mph without drag.

Anyway, my buddy decides to do this run with his all-season radials on... now these were like S/T rated tires from memory. I didn't even think about this point, wasn't my car, I just assumed he was running W's, etc. As we neared the top of the run, I saw the tire bulge outward (and obviously inward as well), and screamed for him to shut it down. He did, we got him stopped, and a good thing too - the tire bulged inward & rubbed against the swaybar endlink's bolt! Ripped a chunk of the rubber sidewall off, but the tire remained intact. We got him off the rollers, swapped the tire for the ride home & smacked ourselves in the head for being idiots.

It was funny though. Dumbasses!

Also Doug, nice that the company you show in the video was started by a guy named 'Loren'.
Old 01-31-2009, 11:16 AM
Lorenfb
Race Car

"That is why I know where a bunch of gas stations with 100 octane are in SoCal, as well as keeping some on hand, so I can keep the right mix of octane in my tank. So, I feel like I am looking out for my engine"

That's great! I'm impressed. One of the few that acknowledges the issues.
Old 01-31-2009, 12:29 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by DRACO A5OG
Whoa, that was freakin sick, a chip did that???
Jim, it was a joke. I was kidding. You know me better than to think I have ever made a serious point in my life. Some people
Old 01-31-2009, 04:33 PM
g-50cab
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

I've had two Steve Wong chips in my car and if I got another Carrera it would have one too. I had Steve do a custom one when I rebuilt my engine to 3.4 - After dropping some serious bucks - then having the confidence to tie it all together (and 3000 miles away in the process) - I'm not sure how much more endorsement you can have.

With a sport exhaust, a premuffler and a Steve wong chip tuned to such you will feel the difference in the lower speed driveability and acceleration.

I'm pretty sure Steve still has his money back guarantee if you don't feel you are ahead of the game - but you'll have to check with him on it. Loren just likes to be Yin to Steve's Yang.
Old 02-01-2009, 05:42 PM
981/911
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

I just put my Steve Wong chip in 2 days ago. Have a B&B exhaust (muffler is to loud), just finished the suspension with polybronze bushings and I definitely feel improvement at the lower end. Was 2-3 turnovers to start cold, now may be 3-4. Need to discuss with Steve after I get a better idea. I have an original stock 28 pin and a second 2004 autothority chip customized for headers if anyone is interested.
Both were taken out of the car by me and are personally guaranteed or full refund promised.
I would do it again, a simple install project. Enjoy, Glenn
Old 02-01-2009, 06:33 PM
Rick K
Rennlist Member

I have a SW chip in my 84, really smoothed out the power band, rev's a lot free-er - gets me closer to the feel of my old '80 SC. I have a euro engine w/ a cat bypass. Plugs, cap&rotor are a good idea as well for peace of mind.
Old 02-01-2009, 10:30 PM
KeithC2Turto
Pro

Originally Posted by stay6
I am ready to put a chip in my '84 911. I want to be sure I get the best performance and reliability without compromise to the engine. Does anyone have suggestions?
My two cents worth:

I belive some of the 84's have the chip sodered in and must be have a socket added to rechip but not sure.

The best chip is a SW Custom Chip Option.

First, make sure the car is up to spec with not air leaks, clean air filter, solid valve adjustment, good spark plugs and igntion.

Second, decide on what mods you are going to do. The Carrera responds very well to exaust changes. A cat bypass or euro pre muffler and a second pipe added to the righ side of the muffler or a sport muffler are good changes. Nothing seems to improve the intake side except possably extrud honeing the intake manfold and there dose not seem to be anyone doing so.

Now, install the chip and dyno the car for the Air Fuel ratios and send them to Steve.

There are several reasions to go this rought. The 3.2's do not sense air flow very well about 5k rpm. As such, Porsche set them rich up top where the max torque and HP is made leaving somthing on the table. They also kept the ignition up top a bit on the soft side. Further, these cars have been around a long time and from time and heat, the spring in the Air Flow Meter can change elasticity and effect readings. Also, the stock chip has a feature that when the AFM voltage change is sensed under moderate acceleration, it takes the O2 out of the loop for a short time. A good chip dose sso for a longer time.

This helps mid range drivability as dose changing the map trims just off cruse to achive higher torque levels.

Lastly, the stock chilp red lines at somthing like 6500rpm. With a chip you can extend this to the Club Sport level of about 6800. I would not go higher as we have a weakness in our rod bolts.

I defer to the experts.
Old 02-02-2009, 12:07 PM
Lorenfb
Race Car

"As such, Porsche set them rich up top where the max torque and HP is made leaving somthing on the table."

Minor to no real effect (a real joke), sounds like hype from a "chip" website.

"They also kept the ignition up top a bit on the soft side."

Right, to minimize engine damage from detonation under varying loads.

Again, another one who fails to understand/acknowledge engine dynamics
and why Porsche setup the 3.2 as they did. Suck-up the hyperbole!
Old 02-02-2009, 01:26 PM
KeithC2Turto
Pro

There is nothing wrong with a stock chip. Further, the 3.2 Carrera responds very well to exaust changes do to the way the injection is set up. Thus, a used cat bypass for $100 and adding a second tail pipe for about $150 can be cheap HP. Unpluging the O2 in the motor compartment can help to mid range HP and response on pre WOT acceleration points.

Even if a choice is made to retain the stock chip I would still suggest a dyno run to check Air Fuel ratios, expecially if the car has had an exaust change and or it will see track duty. The stock chip acts basicaly as a referance injection system above about 5000rpm and can not sense changes in air flows well enough to alow for air flow outside of original design expectation. Further, time may have had effects on the tune of a motor.

If one wishes to stay with the stock chip on can still tune ones car using the Fuel Quality Switch and adjustments to the Air Flow Meter. In most, again most cases this is not necessary.

As has been pointed out, one can spend the $600 or so required for a custom chip and dyno run in other places.

On my car I expect the following results from mods.

Cat bypass 5-7hp (more if cloged), Sport muffler 5-7hp, Chip 5-15hp. It seems well enough documented that all three togeather is good for about 25hp.

Why should Motronics not benifit from changes as do other style of EFI, carb, MFI or other types of systems?

I kind of feel the same way about the stock Heat Exchangers compaired to SSI's as Loren feels about chips with Motronics. I do not see the limmited performance gain worth the gain. Still, many wish that little extra bump in HP around 3000rpm it provides and are willing to spend $1500 chasing it.

My car with cat bypass and chip dyno at 215 to 217hp at the rear wheels or about 250fwhp. Results and readings will vary. My friend also had a sport muffler and pulled 219hp with a bit flater curve.

Quick Reply: what chip is best