Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Tensioners...Carrera vs. 930?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 08:56 PM
flatsixnut
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tensioners...Carrera vs. 930?

I have heard only heard good things about the 930 tensioners used with a saftey collar, but I have heard some bad things about the Carrera tensioner upgrade (oil leaks, line damage, non-stock look, price).

Why would you pay three or four times as much for the Carrera tensioner upgrade when it seems you can be reliable or more with the 930/collar upgrade?

I asked one of the owners of Vortex Motorsports here in Tampa and he said he would go with the carrera Tensioners, but gave no reason why.

I think a shop that does the install would rather have you go with the Carrera Tensioners because they can make more money. The same can be said for the parts supply folks, because they make more money on the parts.

Whats the unbiased answer?
Old 01-27-2009, 11:14 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think the first question is how much do you drive the car and how long you will keep it. If you are going to keep the car for a long time, then spend the extra dough and get the more proven tensioners. At least that's the way I do things.
Old 01-27-2009, 11:50 PM
flatsixnut
Burning Brakes

Thats the thing though...they are not proven any more than the 930 tensioners with the collar.
From what I have read there have been more failures with the Carrera tensioners. The Carrera tensioners are not a 100% guarantee, but there is no way of failure with the 930 with collar.I am not the expert on this, I am just going by what I have read and heard. I am sure our gurus will speak out on this.
Old 01-28-2009, 10:14 AM
wpriller
Burning Brakes

I just upgraded from the 930 tensioner with the guards to the Carrera tensioner, the Carrera tensioners are better plus newer technology.

The guards were introduce back in the early 80's as a fail safe measure from preventing a tensioner from collasping. I install new tensioners in 1980 and the recommendation was to go with the 930 tensioners with the guards which I did. I just recently had to replace my tensioners and the recommendation was to go with the Carrera tensioners because they are more durable and again better technology.

So, I would recommend the Carrera tensioners, I think you will be satisfied.

Originally Posted by flatsixnut
I have heard only heard good things about the 930 tensioners used with a saftey collar, but I have heard some bad things about the Carrera tensioner upgrade (oil leaks, line damage, non-stock look, price).

Why would you pay three or four times as much for the Carrera tensioner upgrade when it seems you can be reliable or more with the 930/collar upgrade?

I asked one of the owners of Vortex Motorsports here in Tampa and he said he would go with the carrera Tensioners, but gave no reason why.

I think a shop that does the install would rather have you go with the Carrera Tensioners because they can make more money. The same can be said for the parts supply folks, because they make more money on the parts.

Whats the unbiased answer?
Old 01-28-2009, 12:25 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 97 Posts

I have run the Carrera tensioner upgrade in my 930 for over 10 years. I have yet to worry about it. The only deviation from stock appearance oil the oil feed lines tied into the boss machined on the cam chain cover, and the feed block incorporated into the cam tower oil feed line.

Can you experience pressure-fed tensioner failures? Yes. Are they often, not in ten years for me. FWIW, I would go with the pressure-fed tensioner. I run them in my 930 as well as my race car.
Old 01-28-2009, 12:27 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Michael: 930 Tensioners are good, but collars are an aftermarket part, which is why Red Line has never used them (since about 1986 anyway). Regarding the price of the job, they should be roughly the same except for the difference in price between the two types of tensioners.

Carrera units are dead reliable; when they fail it's out of the box when they're installed. Some new units are defective, they must be filled and activated on the bench prior to installation - this will save you a lot of time by avoiding installing a bad one. We learned this the hard way, back in the mid-'80s we updated an SC - 5 of 6 new tensioners were bad out of the box. We developed a bench test and never had another problem.

Oil leaks? Not with Carrera tensioners. If they're installed correctly they will be completely dry.

Originality? Doesn't matter, except on a car like a soft back window '67S Targa. They're actually a selling point on 99%+ of all pre-'84 cars.

FYI: Because of the mileage on your car, no matter which tensioners you use you must replace all six chain guides, and reseal both cams using new o-rings. That work will get you to 200K miles... The job can be done with the engine in the car, but the rear engine mount pylon must be removed in order to replace the two, inboard, right side chain guides (aka ramps).

Last edited by Peter Zimmermann; 01-30-2009 at 10:22 PM.
Old 01-28-2009, 01:07 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Totally concur with Pete and Toby.

We use Carrera tensioners in everything except for engines used for concours when originality is more important that durability.
Old 01-28-2009, 01:30 PM
flatsixnut
Burning Brakes

Thanks guys, that is what I was looking for. I am curious of one thing though...In no way do i question yalls professional opinion, but why do people on the "other" board reccomend the 930/collars over the Carrera upgrade? Am I wrong for questioning this? Seriously...looking through my car's records, there has been no work what so ever on the tensioners or guides...yet my car has made it to 115,000 miles.
Am I just lucky or was there that much of an improvement on '83 cars as opposed to the earlier SCs?
I know there were some improvements, right?

I may be in the position soon to put a good amout of money into my car, and I just want to plan ahead.
The only dumb question is the one not asked.
Old 01-28-2009, 01:43 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

There's "another" board ?

And I was not serious, just trying to be funny... Sorry.

Last edited by Peter Zimmermann; 01-31-2009 at 02:25 PM.
Old 01-30-2009, 05:15 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,120 Likes on 802 Posts

Rather than pitch one board against another or one opinion against another I respectfully sugest you read the pros and cons to both and make your decision. PS I have Carrera tensioners and I would not have it any other way. What's a few bucks compared to your engine.
Old 01-30-2009, 09:41 PM
flatsixnut
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by theiceman
Rather than pitch one board against another or one opinion against another I respectfully sugest you read the pros and cons to both and make your decision. PS I have Carrera tensioners and I would not have it any other way. What's a few bucks compared to your engine.

Who is pitching/ I have been a member of this board since 2003, and only a member over there since 2006. It was just an observation that there are so many dif opinions in the 911 community as a whole.

If I was to pick one or the other just from what I have read, I would choose the 930/collar. I am no wrench by trade, thats why I thought the board was here to gain info from those in the know.

I still have not read anything that makes me justify the cost of the Carrera Tensioners reliability over the cost savings and reliability of the other.
Old 01-30-2009, 10:26 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,120 Likes on 802 Posts

Fair enough, you sound like you are covinced, or should i say not convinced to go for the hydraulics. Sounds like you have done a lot of studying and should put on your collars. Sorry if I offended you it was not my intention. Just that you have had opinions on both and it is a dead issue now. You have made up your mind. I hope the collars work out great . if I could I would try to fit collars on the hydraulics and be covered both ways.
End of the day for me it is a very minor cost for the hydraulics considering the price of a rebuild , and it offers great peace of mind for me. For that it is well worth it , and it is for sure the first thing any knowledebale Porsche guy will look for when selling your car.
Hey I have an idea Michael . Why not start a Poll ? with ones who have it qnd don't. That would be good poll as there are lots of guys , you can also ask who has had failures and if they did what tensioners did they have .
Old 01-31-2009, 12:05 AM
flatsixnut
Burning Brakes

You trying reverse psychology on me ice?
No I have not made my mind up. Yes I have had some very good advice...and advice from a couple people that I have tons of respect in their experise. I will more than likely go with the Carrera Tensioners only because I trust those who have said to go that way...but that does not stop me from trying to learn more info, which is all I was seeking.

I would feel better if I was told why the 930/collar route is a bad choice. How can they be bad if there is no way of failure? Again, I have neither and mine have not failed yet. Perhaps I am over analizing this...as I do everything. If Carrera tensioners are not a 100% fail safe...how can having collars not be fail safe?

Maybe I should start a poll asking if people think I am stupid, ignorant, naive, hardheaded. I would like to think that I am inquisitive.
Old 01-31-2009, 02:18 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

I can't believe this is an issue. Frankly, I would be suspect of any 911 from that era that DIDN'T have the mod by this time,--it would tell me that the owner was frankly--cheap. I would be concerned about other shortcuts on the car. It's a no-brainer,--it should be done, and forget the work-around collars.
Old 01-31-2009, 12:11 PM
flatsixnut
Burning Brakes

Thanks for adding nothing but insult to the question Dan. I will be doing the Carrera Tensioner upgrade as sugested by Pete, Steve, and other respectable members.

Quick Reply: Tensioners...Carrera vs. 930?