Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Anyone bidding on this '89 911? Careful- not correct speedometer- mileage legit?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 01:10 PM
andrew911
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anyone bidding on this '89 911? Careful- not correct speedometer- mileage legit?

This car appears to have the earlier 911 speedometer- from maybe several years before 1989. Anyway, I've noticed this quite a bit on ebay and in general with the older 911s- the speedometer has been changed (easy to do in a 911), then the seller says he's representing the car for someone else (so they can claim they don't know about the replaced speedometer), then they claim the very low miles are original. If anyone is considering this car, I'd be careful. Someone should "make the seller aware" that the true miles are unkown, unless there is specific documentation that the speedometer was replaced with a unit that was dialed up to the exact mileage as the original speedometer (highly unlikely). I've seen this too many times...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsc...fCarsQ5fTrucks
Old 01-27-2009, 04:29 PM
Brads911sc
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice catch.
Old 01-27-2009, 08:32 PM
VTCMart
Instructor

Good point. Wonder what Carfax would have to say?
Old 01-27-2009, 11:08 PM
jakeflyer
Pro

carfax looks good and the ad may be correct.
Old 01-28-2009, 02:48 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

It looks identical to my '88 except I got better seats.
Old 01-28-2009, 02:57 AM
old man neri
Drifting

Received 89 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by douglas bray
It looks identical to my '88 except I got better seats.
Doug,

Hate to burst you bubble but that car is not a convertible and it is white.

-matt
Old 01-28-2009, 02:38 PM
Paul523
Pro

Originally Posted by andrew911
This car appears to have the earlier 911 speedometer- from maybe several years before 1989. Anyway, I've noticed this quite a bit on ebay and in general with the older 911s- the speedometer has been changed (easy to do in a 911), then the seller says he's representing the car for someone else (so they can claim they don't know about the replaced speedometer), then they claim the very low miles are original. If anyone is considering this car, I'd be careful. Someone should "make the seller aware" that the true miles are unkown, unless there is specific documentation that the speedometer was replaced with a unit that was dialed up to the exact mileage as the original speedometer (highly unlikely). I've seen this too many times...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsc...fCarsQ5fTrucks
Andrew911- what is the distinguishing feature that suggests speedo is from an earlier vintage?...is it the solid white circle/line?

That is pretty rotten if the dealer and/or seller is omitting key information even while emphasizing low miles, unless of course they have supporting docs for a replacement piece. I'll volunteer as porsche-pinhead-for-justice and call the dealer myself if someone will provide some background on proper appearing speedometer for that year.

I figure odometer mileage reliability is already ambiguous enough as it is on older 911's-- just on account of the oem speedometers' commonplace mechanical failures..... & simply for the sake of all those with true, unadulterated mileage, I think it's imperative to call out intentional or unintentional misrep's wherever found.
Old 01-28-2009, 04:36 PM
andrew911
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Paul523
Andrew911- what is the distinguishing feature that suggests speedo is from an earlier vintage?...is it the solid white circle/line?

That is pretty rotten if the dealer and/or seller is omitting key information even while emphasizing low miles, unless of course they have supporting docs for a replacement piece. I'll volunteer as porsche-pinhead-for-justice and call the dealer myself if someone will provide some background on proper appearing speedometer for that year.

I figure odometer mileage reliability is already ambiguous enough as it is on older 911's-- just on account of the oem speedometers' commonplace mechanical failures..... & simply for the sake of all those with true, unadulterated mileage, I think it's imperative to call out intentional or unintentional misrep's wherever found.
That circle/line is what does not look right at all for a 1989. If he has documentation somehow proving the mileage is legit that is one thing, but it is unlikely (especailly given he's "selling the car for someone else") The incorrect speedometer trumps carfax for me- I'd need documentation that was ironclad if I were to feel comfortible- comfortible enough to pay a premium for a original low mileage example, and comfortible enough that the next owner would be comfortible with the documentation as well if i were to sell the car.

I've seen 911SC's with the later 160 mph speedometers stuck in there, and similar switch-er-oos and typically no mention that the speedometer was switched or that the car was TMU (true mileage unkown). I have seen specific mention that the TMU on several 924/early 944 ads (maybe those odometers were more prone to failure), but the 911s for some reason people don't note.
Old 01-28-2009, 06:52 PM
Brads911sc
Racer

I went on Evilbay and looked at 6-7 89's and none of them had that white circle.
I emailed the guy a couple days ago and he said he would talk to the owner and get back to me. He has not. I also notice that he posted another persons question... he did not post my question...
so something is not correct. Doubt he would get 30k (buy it now price) for an 89, low mileage or not... anyway but I hope no one gets screwed.
Old 01-28-2009, 07:30 PM
aron in toronto
Pro

Comparing other ebay listings, it looks like '85 or '86 was the last year of the white circle on the speedo.
Old 01-29-2009, 01:01 PM
andrew911
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Brads911sc
I went on Evilbay and looked at 6-7 89's and none of them had that white circle.
I emailed the guy a couple days ago and he said he would talk to the owner and get back to me. He has not. I also notice that he posted another persons question... he did not post my question...
so something is not correct. Doubt he would get 30k (buy it now price) for an 89, low mileage or not... anyway but I hope no one gets screwed.
I just asked about it as well....if there is no documentation this appears to be a mis-representation of mileage. It's more of a principal issue I have with rolled odometers or other fradulent advertising... We'll see if he get's back to me.
Old 01-29-2009, 02:27 PM
muis
Intermediate

This is a pic of my 89 Targa dash. No ring.
Attached Images  
Old 01-29-2009, 05:17 PM
butzip
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

nice catch indeed!! Carfax is not air tight by any means but if the CF history is has consistent (at least annual) entries and no huge gaps then I would simply have to defer to my own investigative work.

For sure a physically incorrect speedo is a red flag but not necessarily a 'show stopper'.

If you're a newbie however, I can understand the urge to run away screaming.
Old 01-29-2009, 06:21 PM
Trader220
Race Car

Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts

I emailed him a photo of what the speedo should look like and I questioned the miles on the car. I doubt I will hear back from him and I am sure he wont post my question. I'll keep the board posted in the event he does get back to me.

It should look like this one...
Attached Images  
Old 01-29-2009, 07:13 PM
andrew911
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by butzip
nice catch indeed!! Carfax is not air tight by any means but if the CF history is has consistent (at least annual) entries and no huge gaps then I would simply have to defer to my own investigative work.

For sure a physically incorrect speedo is a red flag but not necessarily a 'show stopper'.

If you're a newbie however, I can understand the urge to run away screaming.
For the price he's asking the incorrect speedo would be a show stopper, for me anyway.

Actually with regards to your last statement, I think a newbie might be impressed with the condition whereas I noticed the issue it right away (I'm on my 3rd 911 over the past 20 years...)

Quick Reply: Anyone bidding on this '89 911? Careful- not correct speedometer- mileage legit?