Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Incredible Shrinking Glass...

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2002, 02:43 PM
Michael Rothenberg
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Incredible Shrinking Glass...

I'm reworking my seals on front and rear glass. Rear went in no problem, but I have a small leak that I am trying to stop.

Front went in, but it seems that the glass shrunk overnight. I have about 1/8" gap between body and seal in all corners and the A pillars. Me and my crew (2 other rennlisters) made several attempts at fitting it in correctly (I have three manuals and a bunch of rennlister how to-s). So I'm trying to diagnose where I went wrong.

I removed the old sealant and seal from the body and glass. There was a bit of plumbers putty in some of the corners. Normal it seems as I found it in the rear frame as well. I removed it and most if not all of my leaks there went away so I removed it from the front as well. In the front I actually found some 12 gage copper wire in a corner. No where in any instructions does it say insert your plumbers putty here... Anyone?

So, I ordered my seals from Pelican so I think I am making a good assumption that the seals are good. The frame is clean of sealant and putty and lubed with silicon spray. The glass fits in the seal nicely and the metal trim is in the trim groove of the seal as it is supposed to be. The string is in the inner grove.

When we put the whole thing back in and center it so that the gaps on both sides are even we can get most of the seal lip to overlap on the inside like the manuals say. But in the corners the seal follows the glass and its like the glass is just too small and the lip of the seal falls off the body.

We tried several attempts to get it right. We varied the starting point and how we put it into the body and still no luck.

Suggestions? Recommendations?

-Michael, not wanting to pick the bugs out of his teeth at DE at the end of the month...
Old 06-06-2002, 09:45 AM
Tom F
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm no expert on auto glass, but I have seen a few windshields come out, and I never saw copper wire. It sounds like someone shimmed the windshield last time it was intalled to compensate for the same thing that you're seeing now. Do you know whether the car has had accident damage? Are you using a US made windshield? I have heard the the US made ones are a hair smaller, to allow some room for accident damaged cars. I had a US made windshield in my old '73, which had never been wrecked, and the fit was terrible, especially in the upper corners.
Old 06-10-2002, 10:22 AM
Michael Rothenberg
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the reply Tom! I do not think that the car has been in a crash. I've been all over it for the last 5 years and not seen any thing that would indicate it. As for the glass... I'm not sure what it is. It was in there to start so I assumed it was good to go. Though I am replacing it due to an overly old seal and some leaks. Perhaps I now know why it leaks...

You know... I think I just found my hammer... heheee

-michael

Quick Reply: Incredible Shrinking Glass...