Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

MegaJolt - 2 Thumbs Up!

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 03:14 AM
robrichtx
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default MegaJolt - 2 Thumbs Up!

Hi All – I just wanted to pass on my experience with the Megajolt electronic ignition system in case any of you are considering that option.

I have a 3.0 ’77 Euro Carrera and I’d never been able to get the ignition right for spirited driving. I always had to choose between two scenarios:
• Good low end grunt that would give way to pinging in higher RPMs, or
• To combat the pinging, I’d dial back the ignition, which would lead to poor performance off the line in the lower RPM band.

I took the car to my mechanic, Matt at TPWS in Austin, and he took a look at the springs on the distributor. After a minor rebuild of it, he put it back together. It was a little better, but as he expected, not by much. He’d worked on overseas 3.0 litres, and felt that their compression and today’s gas did not play well together. The engine was just not running to its potential, and that irritated me.

Matt told me about the MegaJolt system, and I mulled it over. After another 6 months of driving the car well under its ability, I was ready. My main reservation came from the fact that I’ve always liked distributors, and I also wanted to keep the car original. That said, I was frustrated, so into the shop she went.

I got her back in about a week (not a daily driver) and Matt showed me the Megajolt program – took about 5 min to learn. After that, I was off and driving. I’d edit the ignition profile, drive around for a bit, and if I heard pinging, dial her back. It was really easy, and fun to boot.

I’ve had it in for about a year and a half now, and can solidly recommend it. It may not be original equipment, but some technology modifications are well worth it!

Best Regards –

Rob

more info: http://www.g2.nu/chris/mini/megajolt.php

Quick Reply: MegaJolt - 2 Thumbs Up!