Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Better "return on investment" - CIS to EFI kit or full 3.2 Swap?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 04:11 PM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by flatsixnut
...if your 2.7 is recently rebuilt and its CIS is running fine, and you are not really seeking more power...just keep what you have until you really need to make the choice.
Now that's just too wise and frugal.
Old 01-22-2009, 07:57 PM
JBrown
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with staying with CIS. My orginal motor was a 3.0 cis. I dont know what you mean by drivablity but the CIS drives wonderfull. I live in NY and even in cold weather It started right up and ran like a champ. I find it very easy to work on also. The problem you run into with CIS is when you are looking for masive horsepower. I had a friend who had a 3.2 and I had a 3.0 with intake and upgraded mufflers and I use to pull on him very slightly but I would get him. I have upgraded to a 3.5 turbo motor. I have 400rwhp and it runs like a champ. The only issue I have is I have to watch how much boost I run, because CIS cannot support the fuel I need. I have my CIS tuned so good that my A/f from 4000-6000 is between 11.2-12.4. So I have no super rich spots or lean spots. If i took you for a ride you would think it runs fantastic. Plus EFI any motor that did not come with it is going to want a ton of tuning and I dont think it is anymore reliable. Maybe a more linear power dilivery but definedtly not any more reliable. I dont know much about the 2.7 but I would assume it is similiar to the 3.0. The amount of money you will have to invest to do that really dosen't pay. At least for me. I dont think it really starts any
easier and the power gains are minimal. I think you need to find someone who knows the CIS, let them do a good adjustment and see what happens from there. I would really like to know what the CIS does that you dont like. If the motor was rebuilt by a good shop you shouldn't have any issues. Should be turn key hit the road and enjoy. I myself am thinking of doing EFI but only to get the fuel I need but for all the good stories I hear about EFI, I hear just as many nightmare too. Find a good mechanic, give him a chance to adjust the system. I think you will have a different opnion on CIS.
Old 01-22-2009, 10:25 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

EFI will not have the same problems with EtOH as CIS

We can expect more Gasohol the next time oil prices spike -- and maybe before that.
Old 01-23-2009, 01:26 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by randywebb
EFI will not have the same problems with EtOH as CIS

We can expect more Gasohol the next time oil prices spike -- and maybe before that.
Randy really hit on the problem with CIS.

Its not about the "now",.......there are plenty of good running cars with those systems. Its all about the future which means both the long-term effects of Ethanol to the various parts of these FI systems and the lack of new parts to support the repairs/replacement of various components as needed.

EFI is truly the future, whether its Motronic or a good aftermarket system.

JMHO of course,....
Old 01-23-2009, 08:48 AM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JBrown
I would really like to know what the CIS does that you dont like. If the motor was rebuilt by a good shop you shouldn't have any issues. Should be turn key hit the road and enjoy..
Inconsistant starting and (occasionally) idling. It never fails to start, and once running it runs fine...pulls even through the rev range. But, depending on temps and how regularly I use the car, the starting process is different. It's a minor annoyance, but I'm tired of it.

Thanks for your thoughts.
Old 01-23-2009, 09:53 AM
JBrown
Rennlist Member

I can understand the starting issue. In cold weather I have to let it warm up for a couple of min. As far as idle I have no problems. Don't get me wrong, I would love to EFI my motor. The cost is an issue for me right now. There will be a day when I do EFI it.
Steve, I am curious. What are the negitive affects of ethanol? Can it do damage to my motor?
John
Old 01-23-2009, 09:33 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts

I rode on track at Mid Ohio once in an early 70s 911 with a 3.2 in it and I was underwhelmed by the power. Go for a 3.6!
Old 01-23-2009, 11:59 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,107 Likes on 792 Posts

an SC with a 3.6 varioram in it is wicked fast
Old 01-24-2009, 06:16 AM
TT Oversteer
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Doug, I have a 3.2 in a '77 and had a 3.0 with carbs in a '69. Here's my observations: Love the 3.2 with the motronic system but I'm now learning there are other issues with the swap as far as greater weight of 3.2 vs. 2.7 which leads to the need for larger rear torsion bars, wider rear tires, etc. My PMO'd 3.0 ran like stink but there were compromises with cold starting, economy, constant tuning, etc. With regard to your car, based on what you have said, I'm in the camp of leaving the CIS in place and having someone with experience dial it in. The result: lowest cost, most originality for a car that looks awfully nice to begin with, easiest resale when the time comes, no hidden headaches that will manifest only after you are deep into the project.
Old 01-24-2009, 09:54 AM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Chris M.
I rode on track at Mid Ohio once in an early 70s 911 with a 3.2 in it and I was underwhelmed by the power. Go for a 3.6!
Can I borrow $10k?!?!

The good news it the suspension has already been upgraded...this car is very toit! But truly I'm not a power monger and I don't plan to widen the wheels / tires so I think a 3.6 in the back of this thing would kill me.

The weight comments are interesting...I've heard different opinions how how much more the 3.2 really ads. I will say that my '74 feels very much like the "early" cars I've owned. And yet the '77 I drove with the 3.2 felt like a different model for sure. But I don't know if that's the weight or the torque / driveability difference?

Thanks again for your thoughts.
Old 01-28-2009, 07:02 PM
Brads911sc
Racer

Maybe I missed it... But as an owner of an 83 SC what is the deal with CIS and Ethanol? Is there anything we can do to preserve the parts? I run Chevron Premium only and dump a bottle of Techron in it every other tankful... but what else? Are there any parts I should buy now while they are still available? Thanks!
Old 01-28-2009, 11:17 PM
racer
Drifting

A starting issue? that sounds more like the "charm" that all old cars have . imho, keeping the car as original as possible would be the best investment. Folks don't pay top dollar for a car that should have MFI when it has webers.. why would someone pay more for an aftermarket EFI vs the "correct" CIS?

Now, the most "fun" would be a 3.2 conversion but this brings other issues like, constant wheel spin from the 200+hp... and a rear suspension that would benefit from stiffer TBs... and if you do enough "fast runs" then maybe those stock brakes aren't quite up to the task ect. ect.

Quick Reply: Better "return on investment" - CIS to EFI kit or full 3.2 Swap?