Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

74 911 mods

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 11:32 AM
mck911
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 74 911 mods

I'm looking at a super clean 74 with about 46k original (correct) miles that I can pick up VERY cheap... as in less than $6k. The car belongs to a friend of the family who's had it practically sitting in his garage for the past 20 years. No rust, perfect interior, perfect dash, 100% original, paint is a little thin though (lime green). The car doesn't run right now (least of my worries).

If i get the car, first things will be a possible respray, ducktail install, fuchs (get rid of those cookie cutters), and lower the car. I want to keep it mostly original but am considering cams + exhaust in addition to those things. Just wondering if we have any other 2.7's around here with some minor mods. If so, let us know what you opted to do and how you like the results.

Last edited by mck911; 04-13-2009 at 02:55 PM.
Old 01-20-2009, 01:05 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

If I may offer,......

I would suggest getting the car running properly and THEN decide on any performance mods, if desired. '74 911's are rather quick due to light weight and excellent torque,.....
Old 01-20-2009, 03:44 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 97 Posts

^^^^^^ Absolute pearls of wisdom right above folks.
Old 01-20-2009, 03:51 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,114 Likes on 796 Posts

walk before you run I say ...... and you want to make sure the legs are in god shape .... not getting it running could be the most of your worries if you have pulled head studs or other very expensive issues to fix.
Old 01-20-2009, 05:07 PM
mck911
Pro

I say it's the least of my worries because my dad has owned one of the larger independent Porsche shops in FL for the past 25 years. The car ran fine about 5 years ago but has sat since. It's our best guess a new battery and going through the fuel delivery system will bring the car back to running condition. I KNOW it doesn't have pulled head studs. On top of that the car has about 50k miles. Any time the car wasn't sitting, it was maintained at his shop so we have a pretty good idea of the condition of the car. Thus, my reason for this being the least of my worries as compared to rust, head studs, etc...

Was just curious as to what others had opted for and how they liked their results. I'm in way deeper with the race car so this is back to walking...

Just looking for feedback from people who have tried different approaches but those are certainly good pieces of advice for the person with little or no experience in these vehicles looking to buy a 911 that doesn't run.
Old 01-20-2009, 05:43 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 97 Posts

On my first Porsche, a plain jane 1974 911 (not an S), I went through the suspension looking for worn bushings and other worn suspension components. Then the brakes to make sure the car would STOP when I needed it to. After that, I went after the more cosmetic issues - Fuchs 7x15's up front and 8x15's out back. The car had a ducktail on it when I purchased it and so I went after the Carrera flares at the rear. I had steel ones welded on, not fiberglass. Ultimately I had the car repainted Signal Yellow. THEN I test drove what ultimately become my second Porsche - a 1979 930. I actually had both cars for a while, but found it wasn't practical to take the 911 to the Lowes! Go figure.

I absolutely hated myself about one hour after I sold the 911 to a great guy who worked for the Charlotte, VA PD. I wish I still had that car!

Just goes to prove that you don't need to rely solely on a race car to deplete your wallet. Older, under-appreciated 911's like the 1974 model can do an admirable job of rendering you penniless too!
Old 01-20-2009, 07:02 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,114 Likes on 796 Posts

Well there is quite the tidbit of information you held back

Well sounds like you are set for technical resources anyway. I would love to hear what you find from the car sitting that long.
Old 01-20-2009, 09:38 PM
mck911
Pro

Indeed, all of these older Porsches can turn into money pits. I've seen and been a part of the slippery slope on the race car. As much as I want to fight it with this car, I am very tempted. The fact that this car an original low mileage car may keep me in check a little.

I was being a little lazy in my original post. Sorry about that. I suppose the main thing I'm looking for is what cams others have used and opinions on exhausts. Brakes are important as well. I have plans on looking for a set of 930 fronts.
Old 01-21-2009, 04:03 AM
RL Technical Advisor

Originally Posted by kramermic
I was being a little lazy in my original post. Sorry about that. I suppose the main thing I'm looking for is what cams others have used and opinions on exhausts. Brakes are important as well. I have plans on looking for a set of 930 fronts.

CIS REALLY limits what cams you can use and if your car is not an "S", its not worth making any changes until you upgrade the engine to "S" spec with "S" pistons, heads, and intake manifold.

A note about the brake upgrade: if you install 930 calipers & rotors up front, you must install the matching calipers and rotors in back to be safe. Brakes are not the place to cut corners,...
Old 01-21-2009, 08:51 AM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
CIS REALLY limits what cams you can use and if your car is not an "S", its not worth making any changes until you upgrade the engine to "S" spec with "S" pistons, heads, and intake manifold.
Would you ad an aftermarket EFI to a non "S" engine? My '74 has a (twice) rebuilt motor and is overall very solid, but I'm just not a fan of the CIS. So I'm entertaining an EFI kit for better driveability, but not sure it's "worth it". While more power is always great, I'm satisfied with the motor's power as it sits.

Sorry to hijack the thread. Here are a couple of pics of my '74. No real engine mods to speak of, but definitely lowered and tightened by the previous owner. Makes for a very fun car!
Attached Images   
Old 01-21-2009, 12:44 PM
RL Technical Advisor

Hi Doug,

Nice car!!

I too, am not a fan of CIS but the real issue is now lack of support from Bosch & Porsche. They have discontinued parts for those systems which makes them difficult to properly repair, something especially important given the Ethanol-laced fuels we are all forced to use here in the US. Of all the fuel delivery systems, CIS is the least tolerant of Ethanol and thats an issue.

EFI is only as successful as the time spent in programming and the Engine Management system that is used. The inexpensive ones are not much better than the CIS system so this is not a place to cut corners.

Just remember, you get what you pay for.
Old 01-21-2009, 02:18 PM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks Steve!

I agree with the replacement parts issues on CIS. More reason why I'm thinking EFI conversion. I'm considering a Bitz Racing EFI kit. ( http://www.bitzracing.com/products/P...KIT/index.html ) Any experience with them? So far I'm reading a lot of positive things. I would not be doing the swap myself but my trusted mechanic (who is software capable) would be. He will also be maintaining it...until we move to Portland.

Feel free to PM me if we don't want to fully hi-jack this thread. Maybe I should start a new thread...
Old 01-21-2009, 03:32 PM
mck911
Pro

Hi-jack away. I would love to hear more if people have converted and what results they have seen.

Quick Reply: 74 911 mods