Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

HID B-Xenon Retrofit

Old 01-12-2009, 08:46 PM
rothaus
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation HID B-Xenon Retrofit

Here are some pictures from the retrofit I did on my '71 T

I used the E46 Bi-Xenon which are used in BMW's.

The only issue with this setup is that there no light flashing if the head lights are not on during the day. However, since my switch on this car is not working for that, this is not a big deal at this time. I can only switch from low to high.
For this setup the wiring need to be changed that the low beam is always on when the light switch is on. Instead of switching from low to high, the low will be bi-passed and for the high beam only the solenoid will be activated.

On option would be to include an small round projector driving light at the bottom and move the bi-X. a lttle up.

I was also thinking to see how it looks with the large shroud in gloss black or gun metal gray.

I thought I share this

Cheers
Attached Images        
Old 01-12-2009, 08:54 PM
kallberg
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How long did this take you to do?
I kinda like it!
Old 01-12-2009, 09:09 PM
rothaus
Advanced

Now since I have figured it all out, it's not to bad. I will have it all completed next weekend and then drive the car. I used a set of the Bug headlights which actually were installed, with sealed beams, when I bought the car before retoration.

The big deal was to get the shroud right and mount the projectors.

Maybe I put together a little DIY for the retrofit.

Cheers
Old 01-12-2009, 09:35 PM
old man neri
Three Wheelin'

Received 58 Likes on 32 Posts

What does the 'cut off' look like, is there a lot of glare with this set up?
Old 01-12-2009, 10:43 PM
rothaus
Advanced

I will take some pictures next weekend, the car is on the lift right now and an other one parked below.
Old 01-13-2009, 06:52 PM
JBrown
Rennlist Member

I have to be honest. I think your work looks good but I dont like the look of the projector in such a large housing. It just doesn't fit the old 911 look. I bet the lighting is great.
Old 01-13-2009, 10:25 PM
justinsrx7
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

The headlight looks like an eye to me. I think it would actually look better/cooler with another light below it.
Old 01-13-2009, 10:47 PM
Andy_Ash
Track Day

Hey, that's pretty neat. I really wanted to get Xenons on my 87 Carerra, but obviously they're not properly compatible with the H4 Fresnel style lens/glass. Certainly there are plenty of kits out there to bodge it all together, but that looks like a proper job.

I'm pretty handy, with making things, but the front glass is an obvious problem. Where did you get yours from? Did you make it? Is it polycarbonate or something?

Also, is the projector lens from the BMW system, as well as all the other bits?

Perhaps it's a bit forward to ask, but an exploded diagram, or even just a picture of the components on a bench would be really handy to learn from.
Old 01-14-2009, 01:40 PM
rothaus
Advanced

The lamps are either 356 or VW bug lamps, and had a sealed beam in it. They were installed when I got the car.
Old 01-14-2009, 01:49 PM
VTCMart
Instructor

Do you have a wide shot from the front showing both headlights? You may have to start calling it "Kermit".
Old 01-14-2009, 03:04 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 95 Posts

Sylvania used to sell an X6024 Xenon upgrade (Xenarc X6024 kit) - I have them installed on my 930 (Xenon main headlight with a Halogen high beam). They work great. It was a complete kit that included the housings, the Xenon bulb, the ballast units and all necessary wiring/instructions. And yes, the 4300K of light is wonderful. Not sure if you can still buy these kits or not. They were DOT-legal for use on public highways. Here is a set of them that are currently listed on eBay - at a GREAT price too.

Toby

Toby
Old 01-14-2009, 03:19 PM
jwilson95
Racer

I'd love to see both eyes in a pic also. I usually don't like "new" upgrades on early 911's. but this looks pretty cool to me after first look.

First thing I thought about was Sally Carrera on "Cars". (I do have a 4 year old!)
Old 01-14-2009, 06:16 PM
justinsrx7
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Toby Pennycuff
Sylvania used to sell an X6024 Xenon upgrade (Xenarc X6024 kit) - I have them installed on my 930 (Xenon main headlight with a Halogen high beam). They work great. It was a complete kit that included the housings, the Xenon bulb, the ballast units and all necessary wiring/instructions. And yes, the 4300K of light is wonderful. Not sure if you can still buy these kits or not. They were DOT-legal for use on public highways. Here is a set of them that are currently listed on eBay - at a GREAT price too.

Toby

Toby
These lenses look to have diffusers on them which is usually the problem with HID retrofits. I would love to see pictures of you light on and hear about the type of light they project.
Old 01-14-2009, 06:52 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I understand that HID will not work unless the reflectors and lenses are set up for it. That is the reason I have not done it myself. Looks different though. Good work.
I love the look of your car regardless. You got a cooler in that front spoiler?
Old 01-14-2009, 07:33 PM
nikkoa
Instructor

Looks great, I would love to see a wide angle shot.

BTW your car is beautiful

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HID B-Xenon Retrofit