Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Anyone know a dealer called EAG?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 02:01 PM
flatspin
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone know a dealer called EAG?

Hey everyone,
Does anyone have any information/opinion/experience with Executive Auto Gallery (EAG), just north of Allentown PA? They have a two owner, 1984 911 3.2 with 68K miles listed for $9900. I was seriously looking to buy the car and slowly restore/modify it with a 3.6, new interior, paint, suspension, etc. The car is just what I was looking for. A 3.2 black/black coupe with a sunroof.

The Carfax came back clean, but only extends back to 1989. The guy I spoke with said that since it was originally titled in NY, there are sometimes issues with NY releasing early data to Carfax (first I'd heard of this). I asked about having the car dropped of at the local Porsche/Audi/MB dealer for a PPI; and was told "We don't like to deal with them. They're a competitor, and have trashed our cars in the past". The salesman gave me the name of a local shop they said to try. (I know, I know, its getting deep)

Now normally I'd have run away by this point. But its a REALLY good deal since I'm gonna be eventually redoing everything. (technically all I need to be worried about is damage and rust) And it'd be nice to have a semi-low mileage car when I'm done. To add to the issue. After I ran a Carfax on some of the other cars they were offering I found that all the ones that looked like great deals were salvage titled (flood, accident, etc). Now theres nothing wrong with selling flood damaged cars as long as you're upfront about it. But it doesn't say they are flood damaged in any of the ads.
Anyway, I was just wondering If anyone had any input on the dealer? Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Car ad

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...e=&cardist=128

Dealer site

www.ExecutiveAutoGallery.com
Old 01-12-2009, 03:42 PM
Driver8
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 20 Posts

Seems like a good deal. I am not too keen on taking it for a PPI to a shop that the seller is recommending. You are the one shelling out your hard earned cash for this car, so you should be able to take it to the shop of your choice. If they are concerned you should be able work something out with the dealer where you can stay with the car during the inspection.

See if DMV will run the vin#, that should tell you if it has a salvage title. Just my 2 cents.
Old 01-12-2009, 04:00 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm gonna stick my neck out here and **** off a fiew more people...

Take out the clock,the spedo, and the tachometer. check the date on the back of the spedo. It should match with the date on the wiring harness on the car. It is written with a sharpie. If it doesn't match or if it isn't there, then you know why there is a $10,000.00 discount on the car. That is the oldest trick in the book. If the carfax only goes back to '89 they had lots of time to pull this off.

I'm not saying they did, I'm just sayin' they could.
Attached Images  
Old 01-12-2009, 06:01 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,120 Likes on 802 Posts

If your pulling the engine anyway who cares. a "low milage" car means squat when your pulling the engine out. take a look under the sill plates an have a good inspection done for rust.
Old 01-12-2009, 07:24 PM
flatspin
Advanced

Thanks Driver. I might try that tomorrow. But MD DMV isn't know for its helpfulness. Especially on the phone. lol

douglas. I don't think the mileage is wrong (But I could easily be wrong). It seems inline with what entries Carfax has available. But Carfax wont tell you everything, and the fact that there are 5 years missing is strange. And, yes, the seats ARE in dreadful condition for the mileage.(not that their condition is a particularlly good indicator) So it might very well have been tampered with. Which is why I wanted a PPI from a Porsche dealer.

True Iceman. But low-mileage means that the car hasn't been worn out (chassis still tight, subsystems I'm not planning on replacing immediately will be reliable, and it'll possibly be easier to resell later than a car with 150-200k on it). And I'd rather have a lower mileage car for a little more money. I'm just a bit concerned about the unknowns on this particular car, from this particular dealership. Of course with the economy in the tank, and unlikely to recover anytime soon; I guess it doesn't matter. Something else will always turn up. Heck, this car might still be there in a month or two for $8000.

I've gone back-and-forth on this all day. At this point I think I'm gonna past. Really hadn't planned on looking for a car till spring, (I really won't have anyplace to keep it till then) but when I came across this one I got all excited and started shuffling funds around. Thanks for the responses all. If anyone else is interested, feel free to have a go at the car.
Old 01-13-2009, 08:13 AM
SKM
Burning Brakes

Received 87 Likes on 51 Posts
Default Carfax

Regarding the Cafax, I don't believe Carfax existed until about 1989. In terms of reporting data to Carfax, I believe it varies by state, by agency, etc.
Old 01-13-2009, 09:11 PM
flatspin
Advanced

Thanks SKM. Carfax (according to their site) can go back to 1981ish, thats when the standardized 17 digit VIN came into effect. But I wasn't aware that the range varied by state, the salesman might have been straight with me on that score. I'm still a little leary of this car. But I'm gonna keep an eye on it. Might just go up and take a look at it next weekend if its still there.

Quick Reply: Anyone know a dealer called EAG?