Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

anyone with aftermarket seats post pics....

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 11:53 PM
997for40
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone with aftermarket seats post pics....

I'm planning front seat upgrade, considering aftermarket seats ie. recaros, koenig etc.
I'm leaning towards the Koenig K5000, they look like the Ruf seats. I believe they manufacture seats for them.

Just want to see how they look before I make my decision.
Old 01-12-2009, 01:19 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

Recaro Speeds...for some reason the only interior pic I have.
Attached Images  
Old 01-12-2009, 02:55 AM
997for40
Instructor

nice pic ed....is the ride height same as stock seats?

by the way...did you already receive the fuchs from jeff. I'm also interested in getting them, probably the next run.
Old 01-12-2009, 03:24 AM
vinceqn
Advanced

Anyone have any pics of racing seats that look more like the old rsr buckets? or a seat that is a little less obstructive? Also how do you like your seats? any problem getting in and out?
Old 01-12-2009, 03:55 AM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

Recaro SPG Pole Positions, covered in leather. I love 'em.

Old 01-12-2009, 07:18 AM
Dave 86 930 Fl
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Cobra seats ... I'm very happy with them
Attached Images   
Old 01-12-2009, 08:40 AM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I hate you guys.........those look so nice and I have the factory ones. I wished I wasnt spending money on a rebuild, I would of picked up some new seats by now.
Old 01-12-2009, 10:30 AM
911tracker85
Rennlist Member

due to new PCA DE rules, I am looking for sport seats with the necessary 5pt harness holes, incl the anti-sub, for my 85 911 targa. I do not have any intent to go to full club racing.

althought I use my 911 mostly for DE/autocross, I still drive on the street some. so I am leaning toward reclining seats. I have a 36 " waist so I cannot fit into some of the narrow seats.

my current target is the Corbeau LG1, being on a budget so I really can't consider some of the really nice seats out there.

any suggestions? thanks for any input before I buy.
Old 01-12-2009, 02:16 PM
vinceqn
Advanced

Those cobras are beautiful. I love carbon fiber
Old 01-12-2009, 02:55 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

"due to new PCA DE rules, I am looking for sport seats with the necessary 5pt harness holes, incl the anti-sub, for my 85 911 targa. I do not have any intent to go to full club racing"

Please elaborate about rules.
Old 01-12-2009, 05:34 PM
911vet
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 911tracker85
due to new PCA DE rules, I am looking for sport seats with the necessary 5pt harness holes, incl the anti-sub, for my 85 911 targa. I do not have any intent to go to full club racing.

althought I use my 911 mostly for DE/autocross, I still drive on the street some. so I am leaning toward reclining seats. I have a 36 " waist so I cannot fit into some of the narrow seats.
From what I learned prior to buying my Recaro Pole Positions... the ratchet mechanism in a reclining seat is a significant weak point. If you are wearing a harness and the reclining mechanism fails, your risk of injury is substantial.

I read Lyn St. James' book and she described some of her crashes. She attributes the custom-made seat in her F1 for saving her life more than once.

I decided of all the things I could do to my car, the seat and harnesses were the most important.

If you're serious enough about the track to go to a harness system, then you might want to consider solid seats. Even some of the non-reclining don't offer the support I was looking for (for example, some Corbeaus don't have a solid back, just tubes).

I am in the process of installing my Recaros and 6pt Schroth harness. Then I'll add a seat back brace on my roll bar.

OG Racing will be getting my HANS order this month

The all leather Recaros maintain a somewhat "stock" appearance. And they are available in Large which might fit you.
Attached Images   
Old 01-12-2009, 05:42 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Leather Recaros in my '82 SC...
Attached Images  
Old 01-12-2009, 05:46 PM
911vet
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 911tracker85

my current target is the Corbeau LG1, being on a budget so I really can't consider some of the really nice seats out there.
Just be aware that not all seats are created equal. I was shocked when I checked one out in person. I could push my hand into the back of the seat and it didn't seem to me there was much there to protect my spine.

I feel your pain on the price of seats. I found mine on ebay and got them at a price I couldn't pass up. I got the seats I considered my first choice for a price that was ultimately less than the new Corbeaus. There are quite a few good race seats for sale used.

Also, OG Racing often have some on clearance. You might keep an eye out.
Old 01-12-2009, 05:55 PM
911vet
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MUSSBERGER
Please elaborate about rules.
Unless there are new rules for 2009, the rules state that:

1) if you are using a harness, you must use seats built for harnesses (i.e. have harness guide holes in the back). You can't use a harness w/stock seats.

2) if you use a harness, it must include a subbelt (5pt or 6pt)

3) the passenger and driver seats must be set up the same (you can't have a harness for the driver and stock 3pt for the instructor)

4) there are additional rules regarding the attachment points and angles of the harness (like you can't attach a harness to harness guide bar) but I assume you don't care about those right now.
Old 01-12-2009, 06:45 PM
911tracker85
Rennlist Member

911vet,
I belong to the OVR region, I suspect you are midohio region. wonder if we have ever been at MidOhio at the same DE? ( I am new Rennlist member and need to get my profile updated with pics of my cars.)

sorry for any confusion, the new rules went into effect 1/1/08. so nothing new for 09 that I know of. so all the items you list are correct.

I had been using 5 pt harness with stock seats and a brey-krause guide bar for a few years. running with only the 3pt OEM in 08 was not a pleasant sensation. not only the feeling of saftey of harnesses but they hold you to the car so you can concentrate on driving. 3pt OEM and you are also having to brace/control you body being thrown about.

when they have posted these new (08) rules in our PCA mag, they also 'RECOMMEND' you get a rollbar to complete the 'system'. seats and harness will hold you erect, and a roll over could crush roof and you cannot layover as with 3pt OEM. from what I have read the rollbar is not mandatory, but I accept the logic and in process of getting a rollbar/cage. already got an R3. now need to decide on seats.

thanks for feedback on the Corbeau. I have NOT seen the LG1 in person, but seen a few other model Corbeau that seemed good. although price is a consideration, I am concerned about quality / saftey. do not want to end up penny wise and pound foolish. without knowing more about what I am getting, always hesitate to buy over the internet sight-unseen. and as mentioned, fit is a concern as I am 6'4" and 36" waist.

I was moving toward a pair of Sparco Evo2, but then began to reconsider reclining. but now that I am going with a roll bar/cage, the back seat area will be so full having reclining seats for acces may really be a non-issue.

quest for seat continues.

Quick Reply: anyone with aftermarket seats post pics....