Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

1986 Carrera w/Possible Wheel Bearing Noise? Which One?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 06:19 PM
bob b
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a similar problem on my MR2, same symptons. My local transmission shop has an electronic diagnostic tool, a black box about the size of a shoe box with ear phones and electronic sensors with long wires. From underneath he attached a sensor to each wheel hub, the transmission and the engine. He was riding passenger and had me acccellerate through the gears while he fiddled with the dial on his box. Within 100 feet he was able to tell me the right rear wheel bearing was the problem. He let me wear the headphones and I was able to confirm his diagnosis. None of the wheels were loose and you couldn't hear any noise spinning the wheels on the hoist. The bearings need to be weighted down to be audiable. I wish I had more information on the name of the tool but probably someone else can help out. Bob
Old 01-10-2009, 01:15 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Probably a wheel bearing. I would put the rear on jack stands and put the car in gear while running. Use a stethescope on the trailing arms and trans outputs and you very well hear a problem you can not normally detect with your ears. Sears has a good mechanics stethescope for cheap-get one. I would put money on the bearings. You may want to have the stub shaft nut torqued before you make any big conclusions. A normal torque wrench aint gonna do it. You will have to remove the center cap while the wheel is still on. While on the ground, have a buddy (spouce in my case) hold the brakes down and torque the nut to about 450 ft/lds. Confirm this spec and then find a 3/4 inch torque wrench about 48' long. Your favorite shop should be able to do this. If they get out the old impact - find a new shop. I would replace both bearings if it comes down to one. We replace wheel bearings as a matter of maintanace on track cars if they need it or not. They will fail.
Old 01-28-2009, 02:57 AM
Barry A. Waters
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Folks,

It was the Right Rear WB (scored to beat the band/no lube/blue burnt) and I took the opportunity to have both (LR/RR) replaced with OEM stuff. I guess loading the right side of the car by momentarily steering to the left would shut it up. Kudos to those who predicted this!

I'm just tickled to death that it wasn't one of the more expensive possibilities. Thanks to all that chimed in!

Barry
Who, once again, flys solo w/no B-17s nearby...

Quick Reply: 1986 Carrera w/Possible Wheel Bearing Noise? Which One?