88 Carrera - Rough Idle on Cold Start Problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2008, 03:57 AM
cjares
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 88 Carrera - Rough Idle on Cold Start Problem

Hi guys.

I have an '88 Carrera Cab with about 46K miles. The engine and electronics are all original (other than a new DME relay). The car recently had a 45K mile service and set to factory spec.

However with the cold weather we're having now, the car is now having trouble in the mornings when I start. It starts with no issue, but until the engine warms up, the car idles rough and almost dies. Occasionally, it does die if you don't keep your foot on the accelerator.

Once the car warms up it purrs. On re-start (once warmed up) it idles fine. This is only coming up now that the weather is cool. Any thoughts on what may be the issue, or is this normal?

Thanks
Old 12-24-2008, 04:37 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Hi,

The two main things I would first investigate would be the oxysensor and the cylinder head temp sensor (and its wiring/connectors). Both really affect starting, cold running & warm-up.
Old 12-24-2008, 05:09 PM
MDL
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

Just about every 3.2 seems to suffer these symptoms sometime in its life, especially a rough idle. If you do a search you will find enough info to keep you reading until New Years.

Mine got to the point where it would hardly idle and it would pop and bang through the exhaust. What finally cured the problem was removing the injectors and cleaning them. Also, I changed fuel and started using Chevron with Techron, as some here suggested. Straightened my car right out!

Quick Reply: 88 Carrera - Rough Idle on Cold Start Problem