Value of strong running 3.0L?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 09:32 PM
BlackPearl
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Value of strong running 3.0L?

Hey tech-types:

I'm considering an upgrade for my SC powerplant and will sell the 3.0 that currently lives in it. It is currently running very strong, and in the car. It has around 175K miles on it, with Carrera chain-tensioners and turbo valve covers.

A little over a year ago I had it tested for compression and then dyno'ed for lean/rich assurances prior to tracking it (yes, I have tracked it).

The compression came up very good with 5 psi difference across all six cylinders: at 170 to 175 . The dyo came up at 161 HP at the wheels. If this engine needed anything .... I mean anything ... it would be a valve-job/top end "freshening" some day. However, at the current time, I really don't think it needs a thing ... except a new home ;-).

So ... what do you guys/gals think it's worth? I'd include the harness and CID as necessary. (I'd use the value/return of the 3.0 to plug in the 3.6L and 964 brakes. )
Old 12-24-2008, 07:05 PM
BlackPearl
Racer

Bump ... must be worth a lot if no one has responded by now :lol: .
Old 12-24-2008, 07:29 PM
LaughaC
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What year model is the 3.0? Wondering about valve sizes.

PM me with an idea of how much you want for it.
Old 12-25-2008, 02:32 AM
flatsixnut
Burning Brakes

Unless someone could get a PPI done on the motor while it was running in the car...I would not think it would be worth more than a couple grand.?. You might have better luck selling something on this forum if you were a member.

https://rennlist.com/forums/rennlist...uidelines-168/
Old 12-25-2008, 02:46 AM
TT Oversteer
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

A complete, stock 3.2 seems to be worth around 5 to 6k. A 3.0 probably somewhat less. Maybe 4 to 5 grand? Possibly closer to 4 due to the the higher mileage on the original top end. It certainly helps the value in my mind to see and hear it run in the car and possibly even drive it before purchase. Of course, in todays "market" it's worth what the guy writing the check thinks it's worth.
Old 12-25-2008, 10:36 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,107 Likes on 792 Posts

it's the old I want to sell this to you but I am just going to ask what it is worth to get around the rules scam ...

the only person who would be inteested in this engimne might be someone with a grenaded or worn out 2.7 with pulled studs. That is a good option for them. Like most things it is about the timing .. list it on ebay and you will find out how much it is worth.
Old 12-26-2008, 02:35 PM
BlackPearl
Racer

Thanks, guys. I'd let anyone drive it before buying it. It's still in the car. It's a top class finisher in both AX and TT's. It is an '83. As indicated: it has 170 to 175 psi across the bank. It pulls 161-RWHP on street tires.

iceman: if you thinking I'm running a scam: you don't know me well enough to insult my integrity at that level; Bugger Off!

I'll put it on Ebay and see what happens. I personally know of two people in SoCal that might need it: both with 3.0 that have gone south: broken headstuds, etc. So, I wanted to be honest and fair.

Happy Holidays! Thanks, all!

Quick Reply: Value of strong running 3.0L?