Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

How do I turn the heat on?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 05:15 PM
HRiverTwhite
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do I turn the heat on?

I've had old 911s for the last 15 years and I have never figured out how to work the heat. Anyone out there living in a cold climate understand what the three levers on the dashboard are suppose to do? What do the levers on the floor between the seats do?

What is the air blower in the front of the car for and how is it activated?

I assume that the levers between the seats are suppose to activate the electric fan in the engine room and push air forward.

One of the cables connected to the levers is bent, anyone know where I can get another.

I rarely go out in the car with the top on (I have a Targa) but at times it would be real nice to have heat instead of having to put on gloves and a heavy jacket.
Old 12-22-2008, 05:31 PM
BlackPearl
Racer

Oh, boy! The most confusing aspect of 911's: HVAC.

Okay: I'll try to get this right.

The three levers on the dash:

Top lever: opens/closes fresh-air vent and actuates under-the-windshield blower fan. All the way to the left: closed vent; fan off. All the way to the right: vent open, fan on high.
Middle lever: fresh air diverter. Diverts fresh air from foot-well to windshield vents. All the way to left: footwell only. All the way to right: windshield only. Halfway: feet and windshield.
Bottom lever: diverter for hot air from engine/heater system. All the way to left: footwell only. all the way to right (with heater levers up) defroster/windshield only. Half-way: half-and-half foot and windshield hot air.

Lever on floor: Heater levers

Pull up to actuate heater motor and open butterfly vents from exhaust heat-exchangers. Left lever: left (driver's) side. right lever: passenger side. Both levers up: both sides.

Confused yet? Good!

Now the tricky part: to actuate the defroster.
1) Dash levers: top two to the left; bottom one to the far right. (In later models, the bottom one is red to help you recall it's for the Heating /Defrost system.)
2) Pull both floor/heater levers up and slide the bottom dash lever all the way to the right. You should feel air blowing over the windshield thru the dash vents.

This system was in effect at least through 1992/964-series 911's, to the best of my knowledge.

Hope that helps. Good luck.
Old 12-22-2008, 05:41 PM
UberXY
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The best advice given to me ten years ago is to leave the 3 dashboard levers right in the middle, and adjust the temperature with the levers on the floor. Works for me.

Ub
Old 12-22-2008, 05:44 PM
old man neri
Drifting

Received 92 Likes on 56 Posts

Imagine taken from Ian's Website:

Old 12-22-2008, 05:44 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

http://members.rennlist.com/imcarthur/911autoheat.htm

Thank Neri for this
Old 12-22-2008, 05:54 PM
BlackPearl
Racer

Originally Posted by old man neri
Imagine taken from Ian's Website:

Excellent! Doesn't quite apply to pre-'84 cars since we (I have an '83) don't have that fancy-pancy center "Autoheat Controller" unit. But, all else is absolutely relevant. Nice source!
Old 12-22-2008, 07:35 PM
VTCMart
Instructor

Originally Posted by BlackPearl
Excellent! Doesn't quite apply to pre-'84 cars since we (I have an '83) don't have that fancy-pancy center "Autoheat Controller" unit. But, all else is absolutely relevant. Nice source!
I have the Autoheat in my '82. I think the only differences between SC years and Carrera years are SC's have smaller side vents, no footwell blowers, and only 3 levers on controls instead of 4 (two in one row on the Carreras).

Someone else chime in if I'm wrong.
Old 12-22-2008, 08:53 PM
imcarthur
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My work here is done.

Ian
Old 12-22-2008, 10:20 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I used to drive a 1980 BMW 320i and I have a Braun travel alarm clock.

After those, the 911 heater is easy to use.
Old 12-22-2008, 10:32 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by VTCMart
I have the Autoheat in my '82. I think the only differences between SC years and Carrera years are SC's have smaller side vents, no footwell blowers, and only 3 levers on controls instead of 4 (two in one row on the Carreras).

Someone else chime in if I'm wrong.
You are correct Sir.
Old 12-23-2008, 12:01 AM
HarryD
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Heat Control FAQ for Pooschey

Come on, tell him the truth:

Q: I just bought a Pooschey 911 and can't figure out how to make the heater work -- or the fresh air either. Can you help me?

A: Sure, I can help you. The ventilation system requires that you operate 4 levers to make it work. 3 of the levers are on the dash, and the other is between the seats on newer Pooscheys there are 2 levers between the seats).

The top lever on the dash actually does several different things (remember, it is a fiendish German device, just like the rest of the car). Pushing it to the middle opens the dust ports leading to the windshield (see below for operation of fogging machine and oil mist spray device). Pushing it to the right past the middle also activates the rattling noise-maker device. There are three loudness levels to choose from. Pushing the lever all the way to the left is used to jam the cable so unauthorized personnel cannot operate any of the devices above. The lever also enables the automatic heat exchanger signalling device -- when opening it spews rust particles on the windshield, you should replace the heat exchangers. Also, if opening it causes you to immediately turn blue or purple (not just hair, but skin color) and become unconscious, you (or your estate) should definitely replace the heat exchangers.

The second lever from the top controls the lights on the White House Xmas tree. Move it to the middle to turn on the lights, and all the way to the right to fire 4500 Megatons of Nukes at Iraq.

The bottom lever on the dash is used to replace the windshield when it becomes scratched or pitted with rock chips. It also determines how much hot air goes to your feet as opposed to your head. For example, let's say the engine is completely warmed up and the hot air is burning your feet. If it's a cold day, you can flip the lever to the other side and shoot hot air onto the windshield so it cracks and shatters. Then call your insurance company (you do have insurance, don't you?)

The lever between the seats controls the oil mist spray device. When the engine is warmed up, this lever allows you to blow oil mist into the passenger cabin. Using the top dash lever lets you select whether you want the oil mist to coat the inside of the windshield or to just circulate around your feet. On a newer Pooschey, you have 2 levers on the floor between the seats. The left hand lever lets you open the left side vents which are aimed so they burn the feet of the person in the right hand seat, and the right hand lever lets you open the right side vents which are aimed so they burn the feet of the person in the left hand seat. Of course, each lever will also burn just the tops of the feet of the person in the other seat. If you are driving in the rain (or even stopped in the rain after the car has broken down), these levers also let you spray a fog of water vapor on the windshield, so no one can see in or out of the car -- sort of like privacy glass.
Old 12-23-2008, 01:00 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,120 Likes on 802 Posts

911 heating systems are hitlers revenge for WW2
Old 12-23-2008, 02:12 AM
VTCMart
Instructor

Originally Posted by rusnak
I used to drive a 1980 BMW 320i and I have a Braun travel alarm clock.

After those, the 911 heater is easy to use.
Must be similar to my Brookstone travel clock, everytime I try to hit snooze I end up changing the time zone without realizing it, then wake up 5 minutes later thinking I just overslept two hours.
Old 12-23-2008, 03:03 AM
SCOTITUDE
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Easy way

cold= windows up

hot= windows down sunroof open
Old 12-23-2008, 07:55 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,120 Likes on 802 Posts

here ya go

Last edited by theiceman; 01-09-2013 at 10:14 AM.

Quick Reply: How do I turn the heat on?