Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Subaru powered 911. Would you?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 02:18 AM
vinceqn
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Subaru powered 911. Would you?

I know the purist here are going to want to rip this thread down, but lets keep an open mind here. Look at this video i found. Searched all over the forums but didnt find anything like it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4cVMmJKyLg

Anyone ever done this? You gotta admit you would take it into consideration. Its not like its a v8 that makes it more tail heavy, its a reliable 4 cyl, an its a boxer engine lol. But i am interested since i blew my motor and am looking for more power without paying a fortune for a Porsche motor, times are tough. I hear that this would be a relatively easy swap but want to hear your opinions or experiences.
Old 12-18-2008, 03:12 AM
TT Oversteer
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

In my mind it's the aircooled flat six that is the heart and soul of the 911 and the essence of why I love these cars. Having said that, I wouldn't criticize anyone for taking on an interesting project like this. I would rather do it to a 914 than a 911 though (sorry 914 lovers). How about mazda rotary power for cheapness and lightness? The possibilites are endless. I just don't think I would spend the time fabricating a Subaru installation when I could pick up a 911 motor for a few k more. These conversions are never "easy". Excellence ran an article on a Subie conversion in a 914 some time ago I believe. You might check with them for back issues.
Old 12-18-2008, 03:38 AM
vinceqn
Advanced

I had a ot of consideration on the rotary motor. It is to finicky and needs to much attention on top of being a gas and oil eater. lots of power especially for the weight but the reliability all there. Id much rather get an Original Porsche motor but cost is just through the roof when your comparing power
Old 12-18-2008, 07:04 AM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

An aluminum block V8 is a lot lighter than many comparable-hp Porsche motors.

The problem -- with a V8 or a Subaru motor -- is going to be cooling.

But it's been done. At least twice.
Old 12-18-2008, 07:06 AM
newsboy
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

There was quite an extensive thread either here or on Pelican about this conversion. The owner did most of the work/fabrication by himself. Quite a nice job.
Old 12-18-2008, 08:24 AM
elpresidente
Racer

Originally Posted by newsboy
There was quite an extensive thread either here or on Pelican about this conversion. The owner did most of the work/fabrication by himself. Quite a nice job.
Yes, I saw that thread a while ago and was very impressed. While I'm a purist, I have to admit that guy did an outstanding fabrication job. Two thumbs up.
Old 12-18-2008, 08:31 AM
GothingNC
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts

Here is the 3.3 swap thread from Pelican.

Nice job.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showt...aru+conversion

Last edited by GothingNC; 06-07-2009 at 09:40 AM.
Old 12-18-2008, 09:00 AM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I would take one of two routes, either 1) sell your car because you cant afford to fix a Porsche right, or 2) hold out until you accumulated enough money to fix the Porsche motor.

I have the ability and the access to place an LS-1 in my car for cheaper than the cost of my rebuild kit......but I won't.

I am taking option 2 right as of now.

I would not even consider putting anything other than the pancake 6 back in it, it is it's heart.
Old 12-18-2008, 09:20 AM
UberXY
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

A neighbor of mine put a Subie in his VW Vanagon. That's a swap that works well and makes a lot of sense. He also did a Chevy V8 in an XJ-6.

Subie in a 911 just doesn't seem right.

Ub
84 911
Old 12-18-2008, 09:29 AM
cmoss

Wasn't there an article in Excellence about a year ago where some guy put a Subaru engine in a 914?
Old 12-18-2008, 10:39 AM
Vino
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I had a 4th 911 in the garage that was in a wrek and could be restored I would use an STi engine if it fit. I don't think they are too expensive or at least I have a friend who can get them pretty cheap from the factory. That would make since and with 300HP to boot!

Now you guys got me thinking of the VW bus and STi motor HMMMM! A green mobile with some envy!
Old 12-18-2008, 11:09 AM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Received 284 Likes on 184 Posts

Oh my, the horror of that Orange car!!!! I'm sorry if the owner is on here, because obviously a lot of work went into that, and it was high quality stuff.....until the radiator. WTF? And to ruin a '72 911 by 'updating' to short hood. That's a crime. Otherwise I have no problems with the conversion. Honestly I don't think the engine is the weak point of the 911. They are pretty reliable and if you do your own work they are pretty cost effective to run. Now I can see dumping a 944 engine for an LS1, that makes more sense. It seems like with the 911, you put in a lot of work for not much gain.
Old 12-18-2008, 12:59 PM
DWalker
Racer

HMMM- Where to start...

Well let me begin by saying I do a lot of engine swaps- in fact I am currently finishing up a Toyota 20-valve 4AGE swapped into a 1961 MG Midget, and a Toyota 1IZ GTE swapped into a Nissan 240SX, have done the LSX into a 3rd Generation Mazda RX7 and surprisingly, the car was driven every day. I have put all sorts of odd engines where they never belonged, and will continue to do so.
However, the idea that it is somehow cheaper to swap in a non-original powerplant is shaky at best. In the RX7 example above he was convinced that the LSX swap was cheaper and more reliable than the rotary. Neither are true, and by the time he got the RX7 to the point he could actually drive it daily (and by "him" I mean after he paid me to sort it out) he had spent 4 times what a new from Mazda 13BREW would have cost him.

So lets examine the Subaru into 911 idea-
First there is the engine itself and the question of power and reliability. EJ2.0 or 2.5 WRX or STI engines are NOT cheap, with used ones pulling in the 3K range. They break quite often, usually going down to broken/cracked ring lands due to improper tuning and modification, but even a stock EJ can destroy itself in short order. There have been rod bearing issues as well, but the source of these has not been investigated enough yet to comment on.
Once you solve the cooling, mounting, and electronic issues and actually have it running, the OE performance might leave you a bit frustrated. Modifying a Subaru is not especially cheap for the power gained, and finding a reliable tuner amongst the sea of tooners can be daunting.
Old 12-18-2008, 01:49 PM
Houpty GT
Racer

https://rennlist.com/forums/911-foru...e-bag-now.html
Here is the thread and then the link to Pelican

He was considering selling kits so that would certainly help you if you were going to do the same project.
Old 12-18-2008, 03:22 PM
vinceqn
Advanced

Thank you everyone for your quick response. I can appreciate critisism as much as i can advise from everyone. I was once a heavy pursit myself but am more tempted to do this just becasue the majority of you dont want me too Any other advice please keep it coming, my car arrives on saturday and I still havent officially decided with keeping it Porsche or just making a hybrid. More comments will help

Quick Reply: Subaru powered 911. Would you?