Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

1985 911 Cpe Questions about Purchase & Ownership

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 11:12 PM
Barry A. Waters
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Bearclaw,

Why would you suggest a PPI and that's it? Given that most folks can't even source a decent Porsche PPI (not funding wise but competence wise) why would you advise not worrying about reading up on things?

I'm glad your purchase worked out but you really must have no idea about how many have NOT worked out. There is INDEED a lot of junk out there so the best bet is a PPI AND an educated buyer. I always recommend reading up on these cars so you've got some idea of what you're about to buy and there's NO excuse not to given the many available and high quality books on the subject.

Don't care to/Can't read? Go ahead and spend your bucks on a (possibly questionable) PPI and take your chances. It's the best way I know of turning a $15,000 to $25,000 purchase into a $30,000 to 'never should have bought it' exercise in 'how to pay the repairman'.

Unless you can direct this buyer to a local PPI source that will buy the car back if it turns out to be junk, I'd re-think your position on doing some actual research on the vehicle in question.

The wrong car can ruin your experience AND wallet. Why on earth would you advocate not taking the time to find out what you're getting into?

Barry
Old 12-19-2008, 11:49 PM
Barry A. Waters
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Omahaporsche,

Welcome to the forum. I have an '86 Carrera coupe and can confirm that the right one of the '84 to '89 models will indeed give you great pleasure. Here's a link you may be interested in. Read it with the thought that an educated consumer is a happy consumer!

https://rennlist.com/forums/911-foru...hlight=Bentley

There are many books mentioned in this thread and ALL of them have their place but it would be overkill to read them all at this point. DO, however, strive to read and learn about your potential purchase, especially if you're the one who will be issuing the checks!

If you don't, you'll run the very real risk of having an extremely bad experience with one of the best cars Porsche ever produced. One more note - you have definitely found a GREAT place to ask questions!

Barry

Quick Reply: 1985 911 Cpe Questions about Purchase & Ownership