Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Dont yell at me for asking, I think I know what your are going to say....

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2008 | 02:36 PM
kallberg
Advanced

Default Dont yell at me for asking, I think I know what your are going to say....

Had this thought last night while dreaming of my future 911, like I always do

I am assuming it is a era no-no, but could you put the 964era rear electric spoiler on an 911? Im my mind it would be the best of both worlds.......classic 911 looks with the downforce you guys say it needs at higher speeds. Put an 964 bumper kit, with teardrop mirrors and bam!

Si? No?
Old 12-16-2008 | 02:40 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

You can do it, it's been done before.

Whatever floats your boat, as they say!
Old 12-16-2008 | 02:50 PM
kallberg
Advanced

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
You can do it, it's been done before.

Whatever floats your boat, as they say!
Just looked at your pics btw. Great! Thanks again!
Old 12-16-2008 | 03:40 PM
LaughaC
Burning Brakes

Funny that you asked! I bought an electric tail for my '77 but opted for the increased surface and simplicity of a whaletail when I found one that required no alterations to my original engine lid.

Buy mine cheap when you're ready.
Old 12-16-2008 | 03:47 PM
3.2SLANTNOSE
Racer

I know of several people on the Pelican board, that have done this very thing. Ask there. Tony.
Old 12-16-2008 | 03:56 PM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Here is my '89 carrera....sounds sort of like what you are contemplating, except RSA wing.

Last edited by Auto_Werks 3.6; 07-10-2013 at 11:21 AM.
Old 12-16-2008 | 04:05 PM
Trader220
Race Car

Yes it can be done, yes it has been done and IMO yes its a great way to go. I like the clean lines of the no spoiler cars but with the movable wing you get the best of both worlds. Ask the guys at TRE.
Old 12-16-2008 | 04:24 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

yup, this has been covered on the Pelican board.

You might want to ask Santa for a copy of Paul Frere's excellent book Porsche 911 Story. It covers drag coefficient and lift tests, has some interesting pictures, and compares each wing from the '73 ductail to the folding 964 wing. The 964 wing was of course heaviest, and was not as effient as the Carrera wing, but better than the ducktail. All wings do not create downforce so much as they cancel lift. The 911 has a wing shape from the A pillar on back. The wing smooths the airflow and cancels lift.
Old 12-16-2008 | 05:20 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

It's been done dozens of times. You need to wire in a manual switch (I still haven't seen anyone come up with a good speed sensor to drive it), and you need to mod the hinges to mate up with the 964's wider hinge stance (easy way: bend them; better way: chop and weld). If you do a search on Pelican, you can find the wiring diagrams you'll need and even a guy who sells the (welded) modified hinges.

One note: the 993 decklid will not fit. You need to get one from a 964.

Another note: it's surprisingly heavy, compared to a ducktail or stock lid.

I had one for my RS-style car and also my RSR-style:

Old 12-16-2008 | 06:13 PM
Germancar90
Instructor

Originally Posted by JackOlsen
It's been done dozens of times. You need to wire in a manual switch (I still haven't seen anyone come up with a good speed sensor to drive it), and you need to mod the hinges to mate up with the 964's wider hinge stance (easy way: bend them; better way: chop and weld). If you do a search on Pelican, you can find the wiring diagrams you'll need and even a guy who sells the (welded) modified hinges.

One note: the 993 decklid will not fit. You need to get one from a 964.

Another note: it's surprisingly heavy, compared to a ducktail or stock lid.

I had one for my RS-style car and also my RSR-style:

Man your car is beautiful wow. Excellent job
Old 12-16-2008 | 09:25 PM
machnerd
Cruisin'

Just a bit of brainstorm, but what about putting in a switch or sensor that will be activated when the shift lever is in the appropriate gears? In my head it could be done with two for a 5-speed: one on the top that senses 3rd & 5th, one on the bottom for 4th (or 2nd & 4th, though that might look strange to have it flapping around town). An appropriate delay circuit (capacitor?) would prevent retraction during shifting.

OTOH, the manual switch is simple and reliable. Ah well, most of my ideas don't survive first contact with reality.

-Joel
Old 12-16-2008 | 09:36 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Speed sensors would be better than a switch everytime you hit a certain gear.
Old 12-16-2008 | 11:54 PM
911vet
Burning Brakes

I won't be trading my less-complicated, last-of-the-real 911s for one soon... but I can appreciate your desire to have the 964 lines. They are beautiful. I say go for it if you like it.

But I have to wonder about the wisdom of adding weight to the rear of a car that already has a tendency for oversteer. If you are into high speeds (like you get on a long straight), then the downforce has got to be important and the wing makes sense. But if you're into driving the twisties at the highest speeds with the least chance of ending up backwards... then wouldn't less weight in the rear be better than a tail?

Me? I favor negotiating the corners. I can't wait for the 130mph back straight to end so I can do the "S" curves and make the tires scream for mercy. But if you like high speeds then anything you can do to keep the car from becoming a wing is probably a good idea.

I've never read any data on a tail vs notail when it comes to driving in the curves at track speeds. Anyone know if the trade off of more weight in the rear is offset by the downforce?

Quick Reply: Dont yell at me for asking, I think I know what your are going to say....