Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

California Porsche Restoration opinion wanted

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 12:29 PM
Daniel Dudley
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like a good place to have a special car restored. Depending on the price, if I were looking for an SC 911, I would also see what was available in an original car. I think I would also be looking at Carreras in California, as they run stronger in stock form, and may be in the price range of a nice restored SC.

Keep us posted Richard. Sounds like you are on the hunt.
Old 06-06-2011, 09:12 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I stumbled upon this place today. Wow, what a shop. They occupy several buildings each dedicated to a different task. A gentleman named Heinz gave me the grand tour. I asked him if they also do reproductions as there was 8 or so 356 tubs just outside the paint building. He walked me over and insisted I inspect each and every one to see that they were indeed original Porsches. Stunning collection of cars and unreal work going on. He said a full restoration costs about $65,000 and the have enough cars in storage awaiting restoration to keep themselves busy for the next several years.
Old 06-06-2011, 11:21 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ked
I have never met the man or visited CPR. A good friend of mine has bought 2 cars & sold 1 there + has 1more (a 356 Roadster, red) for sale there now. This guy is in the machine tool biz, German native, has owned 30-40 Porsches. Needless to say, he is very experienced, has very high standards & won't waste time or $$$.

I checked out his '73 S that has returned from CA, am very impressed with the level of restoration. It was like a new one from back-in-the-day; tight (down to door latches & headliner), correct parts & materials, very smooth driving, no untoward noises, balanced handling (some upgrades there) & very strong performing. Paint was show-quality, gaps were same (one minor adjustment to decklid), detailing was complete (inc underside). There were a coupla minor interior items that required attention + one electrical fault - Brian handled everything professionally & to the owner's satisfaction. I was also impressed with Brian's availability for communications & his focus on making his customer happy. I understand he has recently moved into bigger, better facilities.

My take (so far) is that he is in the "middle of the bell curve" in terms of market prices on the cars he has, Bullfighter's comments apropro; "His quotes seemed reasonable if you're looking to have a great early 911 to enjoy, but you're probably not going to re-sell the car for a profit anytime soon." - especially these days. So, this car is a great keeper, can be further detailed to kingdom-come for competitive concours or (better yet) - driving!

& don't overlook a PPI if you aren't an expert (& maybe even if you are - 2nd set of eyes might save ya a 2nd mortgage... or a divorce).
That '73 S =>

Jaw
||
||
\/
close
^
|
|
hand
Old 06-07-2011, 12:20 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

So, I should get busy posting pictures?
Old 06-07-2011, 02:14 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Attached Images    
Old 06-07-2011, 09:53 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

One of these days I need to drive the 20 min to see them.
Old 06-07-2011, 11:45 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow, jeez! An early "S" (are those Lockheed or Girling?), a 914-6, a Speedster, and what might be an early "B" 356. This is all at one shop, all at the same time.

I wonder what that red coupe is?
Old 06-07-2011, 11:46 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
One of these days I need to drive the 20 min to see them.
Map it out on back roads. I got there in part by the old 395.
Old 06-08-2011, 12:53 PM
six gun
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a 72 T done there a couple of years ago, and visited the shop 3 times during the process, any one intrested having work done and would like to chat about it, PM me.
Old 07-17-2012, 08:13 PM
zzbakerman
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On CPR: I just had a dreadful experience with CPR & the owner Brian Doherty. Basically, back in January 2011, I put down a 60% deposit on a 1964 356SC that was "TWO WEEKS" from completion. After almost seven months of promises he comeS up with some ridiculous excuses to return my deposit with 4% interest! I think he realized that he can sell it for more than our agreed price and unilaterally has cancelled our deal I found him to be untrustworthy and very unprofessional. Be very careful with them if they asks you to put deposit down on an unfinished car.
Old 07-17-2012, 08:39 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by zzbakerman
On CPR: I just had a dreadful experience with CPR & the owner Brian Doherty. Basically, back in January 2011, I put down a 60% deposit on a 1964 356SC that was "TWO WEEKS" from completion. After almost seven months of promises he comeS up with some ridiculous excuses to return my deposit with 4% interest! I think he realized that he can sell it for more than our agreed price and unilaterally has cancelled our deal I found him to be untrustworthy and very unprofessional. Be very careful with them if they asks you to put deposit down on an unfinished car.
Your story carries no weight in my book. Any time post #1 is negative to a company or person being discussed, it does no count. This makes it look like a Yelp review of a restaurant. One should be required to have X posts, or a member for so long before having an opinion. Not someone who has sour grapes, googled the subject company, and logs on to complain here.

You MAY have a gripe, but I don't think it counts. On top of that, it is one side of the situation.
Old 07-29-2012, 11:17 AM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts

I just had a car done by CPR...I cannot believe Brian would do that. Not saying they are always perfect but they are very honest.
Old 08-14-2012, 06:00 PM
zzbakerman
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes Ed Hughes. That is my story. Have you had any dealings with CPR?

Last edited by zzbakerman; 08-14-2012 at 06:31 PM. Reason: correction
Old 08-14-2012, 07:16 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Would you mind if we got Brian's side of the story? He has a spotless reputation not only here, but in our local community.
Old 08-14-2012, 08:22 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by amber lamps
Would you mind if we got Brian's side of the story? He has a spotless reputation not only here, but in our local community.
Exactly. I get tired of people who enroll in a forum specifically to trash a business. Like I said, his opinion doesn't count in my book. In one eye, and out the other. For all we know, he is a jealous neighbor who doesn't like traffic, or something.

Nothing says RL is the be-all to the Porsche community, but many enthusiasts are here to share, learn or teach. This guy simply stopped by to trash.

Quick Reply: California Porsche Restoration opinion wanted