Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Chicken soup and 911s -- Good for the soul

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2008 | 12:40 PM
ago 85 carrera
Track Day

Default Chicken soup and 911s -- Good for the soul

I have owned my 85 targa for about five years now and I want to compare my thoughts to others out there in the 911 community. It's a great car, some blemishes when you get up close but who cares. It runs like a clock (though the clock stopped running) and I've gotten to know much of it by doing things myself.

I knew when I bought the car that for the first couple/few years I would think about it all the time. I'd park it and look back at it. I'd work on it on weeknights after the kids went to bed. I'd daydream at work about doing big things with it. I'd surf Pelican and Rennlist while on conference calls. I'd keep it spotless inside and out. And I'd enshrine myself in my home office with things Porsche. Sound familiar?

So what does it mean when five years later, I'm still doing it?! Ownership is a little different for me now; it's not always clean, I'm not always doting on it, I'm not always replacing stuff for the sake of doing something with it, and I'm okay not having bought all the Porsche paraphernalia I'd searched for in the early years. But while I travel a lot on business, I still find myself longing for the car sitting in the airport garage, the instantaneous start when I get there, the time I give it for the fluids to get warm, the clunkiness of the gearbox driving out of the garage, the roar of the car under the low concrete ceilings, taking the long route home off the interstate, feeling the gearbox get smoother after some sympathetic shifts, adjusting the heater levers and fan for the right comfort, and eventually turning on the radio for some relaxing blend of the news, engine, and wind noise.

My wife knows I have an obsessive personality but my other obsessions wax and wane. This one doesn't. This 911 must be good for my soul. Who else finds their 911 is good for their soul?

Andre
Old 12-14-2008 | 12:45 PM
justinsrx7
Three Wheelin'

Andre, +1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000

Obsession is a great word to use. You could replace your name with mine in your post and I wouldn't need to change one word of text..

Quick Reply: Chicken soup and 911s -- Good for the soul