Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

My first Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 10:27 AM
UberXY
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by justinsrx7
Also, in this economic time, it depends what his motives are for selling. As everyone says, there is no such thing as a sub $20k 911. You either pay $20k and get a good working car, or you get a car for less, but by the time you get it into working order, you are back up to the $20k mark. If the price sounds to good to be true....

Amen to that

Ub
84 Carrera
64 356C race
gone: 64 356C, 99 996, 85 Carrera ZZZ, 76 930
Old 12-13-2008, 10:41 AM
Brads911sc
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A well sorted SC (82-83) will typically sell for 12-18k depending on other factors... If this was a car with a clean PPI he would probably have no issue getting 12-13k even with the high mileage. So at 9k this is already well discounted... where there any other issues?
As a frame of reference I bought my 90k mile, well sorted 83 SC Targa 18 months ago for 14k... over the last 18 months ive dumped 7k into it (and I did all my own work, so the 7k is mainly parts only)... some things were needed (tires, clutch kit/flywheel, ignition switch, valve adjustment), some just desires (Backdated SSI's, Dansk Sport Exhaust, New Rennaine AC system, new lightweight starter)... My car passed the PPI, with some minor issues, tires for example... so if this is the only issue, id look at some others but not completely pass on the car...
Old 12-15-2008, 01:11 PM
nikkoa
Instructor

To top things off, the PPI revealed a head stud had been removed. When i returned the car to the owner, explained the problem, and gave him the remaining head stud he said "i have the best mechanic in the area, i can't believe he missed this!" Apparently he's having the car quoted by his mechanic today and we can talk price this week. I'm hoping he's willing to sell the car at discount to avoid any out of pocket expenses on his end.

The car has some minor issues such as non operation side blinkers or bad window switches, but no deal breakers. Loss of compression at cylinder 4 but seeing how head stud 4 and 5 were broken that could explain things. His first mistake was selling the car at such a low price before finding the mechanical problems. Let's hope i can get is beauty at an even better deal!

How long can the car operate with missing head studs before i do some real damage? I dont commute (i walk) but i also don't want to invest in something i can't afford to fix. Also, the tech recommended for the price of a rebuild i could get a 3.2L installed, thoughts?
Old 12-15-2008, 01:39 PM
Brett San Diego
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nikkoa
How long can the car operate with missing head studs before i do some real damage? I dont commute (i walk) but i also don't want to invest in something i can't afford to fix. Also, the tech recommended for the price of a rebuild i could get a 3.2L installed, thoughts?
How long you can go with broken head studs is not well defined. Some have driven many thousands of miles seemingly without issues. Can depend on which studs are broken. Is it one stud per cylinder or more than one on the same cylinder? Obviously the latter is much worse. For certain, if you wait until you can hear gasses escaping, you're likely looking at needing a new cylinder and head. It's not advised to continue to drive the car with known broken studs. I'm bummed to have parked my 1978 with 1 broken stud until I can get to tearing it down. Been a few months, and I miss driving it for sure.

Given the choice between a rebuilt 3.0 L and a used 3.2 L at similar cost, I'd prefer the freshly rebuilt engine. I'm assuming the mechanic is referring to a used 3.2 L. You'll destroy the originality and typically lose some value in the car if you swap in a different engine. Don't know if that means anything to you. There may be issues with getting the installation done correctly. You're engine will never match with parts searches on your car's year or VIN. Lots of reasons not to do it. Some reasons to do it... Many CIS parts from the 3.0 L engines are becoming harder and harder to find and getting more and more expensive. You'll get a little more torque and HP from the 3.2 L.

Brett
Old 12-19-2008, 06:47 PM
nikkoa
Instructor

Just an update. The owner got a second estimate from his guy, they quoted him at 6-8K. He's pretty bummed and wants to dump the car. I'm thinking about offering him half (4500) for the car. I'm almost positive he'll take my offer. After investing 8K in the engine rebuild i figure i can get out the door for 12500.
Old 12-21-2008, 07:49 PM
yumyum1667
Racer

It depends on how much you like it. It sure is a beauty of a car. Good color combo. Any rust issues (doubtful if it has been a CA car)?
Old 12-21-2008, 07:56 PM
Chris57
Intermediate

I have seen his ads on craigslist for that car for months. I am guessing he knew there was an issue. I belive this is the same car that said it additional oil lines on the left side of the car. It does mean much now, just glad you found out before giving out 9k.
Old 12-23-2008, 01:20 AM
6mil928
Race Car

Location: No where Oklahoma AKA "The Dust Bowl" In The Arm pit Of Hell

Beautiful color!
Old 12-23-2008, 02:30 AM
robrichtx
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

12,500 for a car in that good of condition (cosmetically) with a brand new major overhaul is a Deal. The condition of that dash, seats, and upholstery looks great. Paint looks pretty good too - add in a practically new motor and you're driving an amazing machine for comparatively low dollars.

My math would go somewhere along the lines of 9000 for the car, plus 50-60 percent of the rebuild. that would put you between 12500 and 13800. Seems like a fair deal, as the guy is selling a used car. I'd definitely get the rebuild price locked down though -

R
Old 12-23-2008, 02:09 PM
nikkoa
Instructor

Ciao paesanos!

We agreed on a price of 4500 I am picking her up tonight! I'm under the impression i got a killer deal. I will post a few more photos later this week. I'm sure i will be presenting some questions in the near future in regards to the car seeing how i'm new to all of this, but all your advice has been more than valuable. I will do my best to provide some insight to the community in return but my knowledge is limited. But, if yall need a computer diagnosis or web development tips i'm the guy to ask!

I believe my first investment into the car (and the most valuable) should be a car guide/manual. Any tips on where i can find one?
Old 12-23-2008, 02:22 PM
nicklouse10
Instructor

WOW, well done! I think you're going to end up with a really ncie car with a freshly rebuilt engine for very sensible money.
$4500 is superb value. It's worth significantly more than that in spare parts alone. Had the last owner been inclined they could have broken it for spares and got a fair few grand more.
Old 12-23-2008, 02:36 PM
Driver8
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 20 Posts

@ nikkoa

Congratulations. I think you got a heck of a deal. Best of luck with the rebuild.
Old 12-23-2008, 02:45 PM
wpriller
Burning Brakes

Nikkoa that looked like a gray market car, and when you continue your search try to avoid these cars. I hope everything works out for you;

Originally Posted by nikkoa
He was asking 9500 and we made a a deal at 9K which was a steal but now i know why!

What a bummer i really had my heart set on this car, i guess better to find out it wasn't operational than take a chance and really regret it.
Old 12-23-2008, 05:04 PM
6mil928
Race Car

Location: No where Oklahoma AKA "The Dust Bowl" In The Arm pit Of Hell

Great deal. Why should we fear the grey market cars?
Old 12-25-2008, 04:43 PM
VTCMart
Instructor

Originally Posted by 6mil928
Great deal. Why should we fear the grey market cars?
Having issues getting it registered to drive on the street and also insured are probably the two biggest.

Quick Reply: My first Porsche