Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Ruby gets ready to play-some new bits and a "wow"

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 11:04 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts
Default Ruby gets ready to play-some new bits and a "wow"

After being back in Calif for 7 months, I'm finally headed to Willow Springs this weekend for some track time; my last was in February in Texas.

This past weekend, I tech'd the car and did some needed maintenance:

1. Changed the shifter fork cover gasket on the bottom of the trans as I had a drip. While I was at it, new Swepco.
2. Flushed the brakes with Motul RBF600.
3. While looking things over, I noticed one of my CV joint (outside) bolts had backed out. The end was a little galled up, so I replaced it. This is one of those things you hear about from time to time-CHECK your CV joint bolts once in a while!
4. I was on the fence with regard to my front pads, they had about 7mm of meat left, which is just over 1/2, but I went ahead and got a set of new Porterfield R4-S pads which have about 12mm of material. When you look at the difference, you can see a whole lot of heat absorption between my rotors and the fluid!
5. Probably my last track time on these tires. The MPSC's sure wear a long time! I hope my new Yoko R's wear well...
Attached Images     
Old 12-12-2008, 02:33 AM
kallberg
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ed, what exhaust is that? And da*n that car is pretty!
Old 12-12-2008, 11:29 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Thanks, I run B&B headers and a Flowmaster muffler.
Old 12-12-2008, 12:25 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,114 Likes on 796 Posts

I had the exact same issue with the CV bolts Ed.

I took them all back out one at a time. Cleaned them with brake cleaner and put a schnorr washer on each one. My car originally didn't have them . Great reminder for all to check these occasionally. I check mine every time I have the wheels off for maintanance . a great habit to get into .
Old 12-12-2008, 02:37 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman
I had the exact same issue with the CV bolts Ed.

I took them all back out one at a time. Cleaned them with brake cleaner and put a schnorr washer on each one. My car originally didn't have them . Great reminder for all to check these occasionally. I check mine every time I have the wheels off for maintanance . a great habit to get into .
Same thing happened to me on my old car after I put new half shafts on it. Cleaned the crap out of the bolts and threads and used the schnoors. after that I was checking them all the time. I have the shop check them on the track car when they are doing the tech. Now I will be taking them out soon to drop the engine/trans to have the ring and pinion replaced. The fun never stops.
Old 12-12-2008, 04:44 PM
g-50cab
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

Don't you love Track prep? One of my favorite things to do.
Old 12-12-2008, 09:57 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

I do love it. You know what, I've not done it in 10 months, that's why crap like a CV joint bolt shows up. If I'd done 5 or 6 DE's this year, I venture to say that wouldn't happen. But, I caught it 5 minutes after getting the car up.

I bedded my new pads today, I must say the R4-S is fairly quiet-I expected more squealing. We'll see how they do tomorrow in the cold. I'm kind of dreading it actually; forecast high of 49, 22mph winds and AM showers. On MPSC's none-the-less too! It just ain't fair. Oh well, the main purpose tomorrow is to learn the line at my new track.

Quick Reply: Ruby gets ready to play-some new bits and a "wow"