Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Headers?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 01:23 AM
flatsixnut
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headers?

I know, I can never make up my mind...but if I can locate a cheap set of headers...

How hard is it to completely remove the heat exchangers and misc heater components. A sound clip of Ed Hughes' car is making me re-think my exhaust direction.
Old 12-11-2008, 01:35 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

If I might,....

"Cheap" headers don't do much for you beside noise,.....

Good headers make a measurable and noticable difference in performance. Muffler choices are critical to performance so choose wisely.
Old 12-11-2008, 01:47 AM
flatsixnut
Burning Brakes

Is there really that much difference in just plain headers? If they are not the back dated heater style or SSI's...what can make one set of plain headers dif from another...besides coating? most Bursch style racing headers all seem to have the same configuration.

Steve...I am not trying to be thick headed...just asking. i know i have ceramic coated headers (BBK) on my truck, and they will last a LONG time. Think I paid about $600 for those. If i have to spend $1100 on SSI's you can forget that...
Old 12-11-2008, 03:58 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by flatsixnut
Is there really that much difference in just plain headers? If they are not the back dated heater style or SSI's...what can make one set of plain headers dif from another...besides coating? most Bursch style racing headers all seem to have the same configuration.

Steve...I am not trying to be thick headed...just asking. i know i have ceramic coated headers (BBK) on my truck, and they will last a LONG time. Think I paid about $600 for those. If i have to spend $1100 on SSI's you can forget that...
Hi Michael,

There are performance differences between various headers depending on primary tube lengths, pipe diameters, and collector configurations.

Everyone has different priorities of course, and some purchase on the basis of cost, performance, and longevity. I would simply caution anyone against making such purchasing decisions based mostly on dollars.
Old 12-11-2008, 10:28 AM
old man neri
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

OBX headers, $375 for the set... Link Can't get cheaper than this.

I remember seeing a thread on pelican about these, I think a few people actually tried them and liked them.

-matt
Old 12-11-2008, 11:47 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,106 Likes on 791 Posts

The biggest challege in my mind in any exhaust work is those darn exhaust studs. Bust one of those and you could be in a world of hurt. If you take yours on and off "regularly" and live ina good climate you might be fine. But if they are the original 20-30 year old studs and nuts and have never been off ... you may wish you had never started the project. Especially given your exhaust is actually fine and there is no need to take anything off.

Old 12-11-2008, 02:03 PM
flatsixnut
Burning Brakes

That has crossed my mind iceman. Nothing wrong with my HE's at the moment. But I still have a problem with my exhaust. I just keep bouncing ideas around.

Quick Reply: Headers?