Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

See New Paint Job, now runs bad

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 02:10 AM
jakeflyer
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default See New Paint Job, now runs bad

We got the SC back with the new paint on it and it is an excellent job. Wind screen out, front and rrear lids off during the process. Now, we have a running problem. It sat in the shop for about 3 weeks and when picked up it will not idle and has a slight miss up to about 3000 rpm. 3000 to redline it seems to run normally strong. I did not see any wires or lines off/loose. Spark plugs and dist cap look good. I checked all the fuses. My guess is that it is lean in the lower rpm and maybe lean thru the whole rpm scale. I am going to try some injector cleaner tomorrow on the freeway. I have the manuals. Any guess as to what may be a quick fix?? (yeah I know, take the new paint off tee hee)
Old 12-06-2008, 02:19 AM
old man neri
Drifting

Received 79 Likes on 47 Posts

Does your car normally sit for 3 weeks without use or is this something new?
Old 12-06-2008, 02:26 AM
jakeflyer
Pro

Usually driven at least twice a week. This is a new problem. Fuel was about half full with Chevron. Location So. California.
Old 12-06-2008, 09:26 AM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd also check/change the fuel & air filters - test the fuel pump perf, too . Is the batt & charging sys operating to spec? Interview the shop crew - how many miles did they put on the car, did they put an elect charge on the chassis, did they know how to start an SC properly, etc. Taking a car to a shop is like being in a hospital - there's always the chance you'll catch something new (& they don't fix the original problem, either) - sometimes it isn't even their fault. good luck.
Old 12-06-2008, 09:37 AM
Daniel Dudley
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had two problems come up after painting. One was a ground that was disconnected during removal of exterior parts. One was cut wires that were abraded by a stick being used to prop a hood.

I would also check for intake leaks and disturbed or old plug wires. Look around areas where masking off occurs, and consider a top up with fresh gas and some techron. Go for a nice long hot run.
Old 12-06-2008, 08:00 PM
jakeflyer
Pro

PROBLEM SOLVED. New plugs, battery plus side not tight, and gas cap not tight. Wish I had done them one at a time--- I suspect the battery was the problem as I dont think the gas cap was an issue like on later cars..
Old 12-06-2008, 09:48 PM
Steely
Instructor

Must see photos of new paint to properly diagnose (ahem- after the fact).

Quick Reply: See New Paint Job, now runs bad