Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Still Won't Start

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2002, 11:54 PM
MC
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Still Won't Start

About a month ago my 80SC backfired and wouldn't start after this happened. I tried to figure it out but finally ended up taking it to a place I previously used for service. They told me the airbox was cracked (yes I have a pop-off)even though I could not find the crack(s).

This past weekend a friend and I took on the task of the airbox replacement. When it was all said and done, I turn the key and the engine cranks but still won't turn over (same as before).

Would someone please be kind enough to tell me what else I may want to troubleshoot? When I turn the key I can hear the hum of the fuel pump, but could it still need to be replaced? I also put in a new fuel relay, fuel filter and fuel accumulator.

Any thoughts would sure be appreciated.

Old 01-08-2002, 01:29 AM
HarryD
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
As we all know, it takes spark, crank, fuel and air to make a engine go. Check to be sure all of these parts are working.

You reported that the car turns over so you got crank.

It is hard to not get air unless your air inlet is blocked. so that is probably ok.

If you haven't already, check for the following:

Are you getting a spark? Pull a lead and put it close to a ground and have your buddy crank the car briefly, you should see a spark if yopu darkn the area a bit. If you hold the wire, you can get quite a jolt so be careful!

If you have a CIS Unit, I belive you can GENTLY press the air flow sensor (others with more experince can verify) and see if you have an injector spray fuel.

If these pass, you may have an air leak somewhere that keeps the CIS Unit from flowing Air past the sensor.

Good luck.
Old 01-08-2002, 01:50 AM
Hladun1
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did you reconnect the air meter contact? It's around back behind the CIS meter. If you did, to do the CIS test you need to pull an injector, put it in a glass jar, turn on the key and lift the airflow meter. Fuel should spary into the jar. Don't do it long because you're also spraying fuel into the other cylinders.

If your car backfires at startup, take out the auxiliary air valve and it will not backfire again.

Quick Reply: Still Won't Start