Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Should I remove my air conditioner?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 02:02 PM
Cowhorn
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Should I remove my air conditioner?

I have a 1987 Carrera that is bone stock. It looks good and runs fine. The AC doesn't really work too well, and I usually just put the windows down in the summer any way. I am thinking about removing the AC to reduce the weight of the car.

How much weight will be shed?

Will I feel improved acceleration, braking, and handling?

Is this a bad idea on a nice stock vehicle?
Old 11-26-2008, 02:36 PM
KC911
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did and have no regrets whatsoever. Even though mine worked fine (when charged), I'm a windows down person and only used it a couple of time during my first few years of ownership. You'll save around 55 lbs (or so) on a Carrera, but the big plus is cleaning up the engine compartment allowing for easier access (I also backdated my heat - I recommend that too). I've kept all my components stored in my garage, but know I'll never go back .

Keith
'88 CE coupe
Old 11-26-2008, 03:02 PM
old man neri
Three Wheelin'

Received 59 Likes on 33 Posts

I just got rid of the rear condenser and the compressor. I could always put them back in if I needed to.

I doubt you will actually notice any difference in feel, handling, acceleration, or braking.
Old 11-26-2008, 03:30 PM
dbryant61
Burning Brakes

(55/2800)*214=4.2 hp gain, or 2%. You probably won't feel it, but you could measure it with a stopwatch.
Old 11-26-2008, 04:39 PM
wwest
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Resale value,... which you may not have an interest in...

Location....

If I were in Memphis, say, I would NOT disable the A/C.....

In regions with high temps and humidity I would do whatever was needed to get it to work reliably...!!
Old 11-27-2008, 12:31 PM
flatsixnut
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wwest
Resale value,... which you may not have an interest in...

Location....

If I were in Memphis, say, I would NOT disable the A/C.....

In regions with high temps and humidity I would do whatever was needed to get it to work reliably...!!
I live in Florida. My AC works as well as any other 911. Has a brand new condensor. I only run it to keep it working. Otherwise its windows down no matter how hot it is outside. I just can not bring myself to remove it. (in case I do sell).
Old 11-27-2008, 12:38 PM
wwest
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Correct me if I'm wrong but Florida, land of "swamp coolers", is not known for high humidity except for the few hours just after one of your HEAVY rain showers.
Old 11-27-2008, 12:52 PM
old man neri
Three Wheelin'

Received 59 Likes on 33 Posts

If you take out your compressor and condenser you can always reconnect them when it is time to sell. It will just need a refill but seeing as they are non-barrier hoses then by that time it would have needed a refill anyways.
Old 11-27-2008, 01:04 PM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Don't do it. Leave it in.

I took the A/C (EVERYTHING) out of my 86 a couple years ago because the hoses were shot. I didn't use it anyway as it's not needed very often in Denver, and I like the idea of a less-crowded engine compartment. But now I really regret taking it out as the rest of the car is perfect or soon will be. I've decided to put it back in with new Rennaire evap unit, Procooler and barrier hoses. Having it in will restore more $ in resale value than it will cost for the replacement pieces. I don't intend to sell the car anytime soon but I'm sure I will some day.

If you do take it out, take lots of pictures and document what you did so you can use it as a guide when you reinstall it. And save every nut, bolt and bracket and label each one for its location.
Old 11-27-2008, 03:01 PM
bgiere
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

Don't do it.You may regret it. It will make absolutely no discernable difference in the cars performance.
Old 11-27-2008, 03:40 PM
KC911
Burning Brakes

Will 55 lbs (alone) be significant - no. But drop 150+ (as I have) from our "Carrera pigs", and you can absolutely tell a difference. Resale was not an issue for me and I don't use A/C in any of my vehicles. Cleaning up the engine compartment (easy access) was a big plus from my perspective. Only you can decide what's "right" for you. Here's my before/after from removing the A/C and backdating heat:

Keith
'88 CE coupe
Attached Images   
Old 11-27-2008, 10:39 PM
irobertson
Rennlist Member

KC911 - Looks very nice. What else did you lose to get the -150 lbs?
I've been debating whether to get mine working properly, or pull it out.
You pic has swayed me more towards removal.
Old 11-28-2008, 02:14 AM
jhubs
Racer

Leave it in! Not worth the trouble to put it back in as it will be very expensive with new hoses, recharge etc., etc. maybe as much as $1,000 or more to get it back in and running. When you sell this car, and you will, someday you will regret taking it out.
Old 11-28-2008, 08:28 AM
KC911
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by irobertson
KC911 - Looks very nice. What else did you lose to get the -150 lbs?...
It was mostly incremental losses here and there, but I haven't touched the body, bumpers, etc. Off the top: I've cleared out my front trunk (I have 930 calipers & rotors , so my spare was not usable - AAA & cell phone instead) which saved another large chunk, lighter battery (Optima), lighter exhaust (GHL muffler & Fabspeed premuffler), engine sound pad (4 lbs), etc. A lot of them seem insignificant, but they do add up. Someone has a great "weight loss" guide over on Pelican if you're interested in specifics. Hope this helps...

Keith
'88 CE coupe
Old 11-28-2008, 09:09 AM
smshirk
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by wwest
Correct me if I'm wrong but Florida, land of "swamp coolers", is not known for high humidity except for the few hours just after one of your HEAVY rain showers.
I wouldn't agree with that having lived there for a few years. When I opened the doors to my car in the Am going to work, my sunglasses immediately fogged up every day 9 months out of the year. that place is HOT, HUMID, and STICKY. Ga isn't much better, but it is better

Quick Reply: Should I remove my air conditioner?