Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Issue with idle: RPM drops and surges, sometimes stalls. How do I diagnose?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 12:55 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have had varying results with chips. I don't think I am the only one. Autothority told me that a particular chip will work for one guy and not another. Climate and regional fuel differences make it difficult to get consistant performance. I have used chips in 944 turbos that worked flawlessly. Again in my experience, cold start problems and a lumpy idle are the most common problems with chips. I am a luke warm on chips, others swear by them.
Old 04-27-2009, 09:02 PM
jpyles
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update on my idle issue:

As posted previously, I removed and cleaned the ICV, but that didn't help. I had the mechanic check my full throttle microswitch and the fuel pressure regulator. They were both fine. The mechanic witnessed the behavior and thought it was a rich mixture problem.

So, the other weekend I took off the MAF and cleaned the hotwire tube using some "MAF sensor" cleaner spray I found at NAPA. NOTE: this is different than carb/choke cleaner or throttle body cleaner. It is specifically for the MAF sensor. Anyway, I put 10-15 sprays of that stuff down the tube and let it dry out. Then I re-oiled the filter and re-assembled. The idle is much better! I need to drive it some more before I declare total victory, but the first 20 or so miles have exhibited no idle problems.

Quick Reply: Issue with idle: RPM drops and surges, sometimes stalls. How do I diagnose?