Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Whats typical of your Oil Level?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2002, 10:33 AM
Von Kiser
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Whats typical of your Oil Level?

I have a 1986 Carrera that seems to be slow getting the oil level up. My oil level stays in the red for the first 5 to 10 minutes of driving...is this normal? I always baby the engine until the temperture and oil level comes up to norm. I had a 1984 Carrera before this and it always seemed to get the oil level up within 5 minutes of driving.

Also...

1.) When cruising around at a steady speed where does your oil level reside? Halfway? Full? In the red?

2.) While the engine is at operating temperture and your setting on level ground...where does your oil level reside now? Mine never gets above 3/4 full....should it touch the full mark?

3.) When your engine is warm and your going thru the gears does the oil level indicator bounce when shifting gears?

Thanks for any and all help,
--Brian
Old 06-03-2002, 10:41 AM
Wil Ferch
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi:
This issue of oil level has been gone over a number of times on this List. Basically, the only time the oil level should read above "red" is at idle, level ground, and engine speed at idle ( approx 800 rpm), and "at temp ( approx 190 degF). When driving, it's normal for the "level" to read low..into the red. That's OK, because it's out of range during this time. If you fill the car to "full" on the dipstick during the prescribed method ( engine at temp, idle, level ground), you run the risk of ingesting oil into the intake of the engine as it gets warm, as the oil expands. Best is to fill to "mid" mark on the dipstick. People tend to fill to "full", oil gets sucked into the air intake, ...they check later and it seems low...so they add oil, and the whole cycle starts over again, thinking they have a high oil consumption problem. Mostly, ...not so, it's just overfilled.
--Wil Ferch
85 Carrera
Old 06-03-2002, 10:50 AM
Von Kiser
Instructor

Thanks Wil, I searched the forum as I was sure other "newer" 911 owners have witnessed this because of the unfamialiarity of a "dry Sump" oil system. I just couldn't help but worry about it when I drove the car. Thanks for easing my mind.

--Brian
Old 06-03-2002, 10:50 AM
gerry100
Pro

Brian,

I'm a 9 month owner of an '86 3.2 and observe the following -

- oil level gauge does not react at all until car has been driven 5 minutes or so and oil temp gauge has started to register. After that it jumps around while driving, probably due to sloshing in oil tank.

- with the engine warm and running and the car stopped on level ground, my oil level needle is horizontal. This corresponds to a level mid way between the min/max on the dipstick. According to owners manual, oil level guage reading is only meaningful under these conditions.

I keep my eye on the oil pressure when driving, glance at the oil level guage occasionally when stopped on the level and check with the dipstick at least once a week.

Quick Reply: Whats typical of your Oil Level?